We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

My son and soon to be daughter in-law are trying to plan a Costa Rican Honeymoon on a strict budget of 1500.00. The dates are Dec. 4 thru Dec. 11, 2011. This must include meals and any activities they would be interested in doing. I know this is not much of a budget but it is what they have to work with. Advice please on accomadations. They are beach people. (They will not need airfare.) Thanks!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

There are many beaches here. Have they decided which one to visit? Every beach town should have a nice budget hotel that will accommodate them, so let us know which beach they want and we can make suggestions!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

Hope they can get the planning done. That's $214 per day, not an unreasonable amount. Especially since its there honeymoon, they probably want to eat out at a nice place and have some fun. We do now have what is called the Easy Tamarindo Discount Card offering 20-40% Off many restaurants and tours. A good idea to get one because often food and tours can be more expensive than accommodations. There are also local publications and web sites offering various discounts.

If you could specify what portion of the budget would be spent on accommodations, many in this forum could nail down the options.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

Thank you for getting back with me so quickly. They are looking at Manuel Antonio and Tamarindo Area. They really would like an all inclusive but I am not so sure on their budget that this is possible. They are open to all suggestions. They have not been to Costa Rica before and are not sure which beach area is the best to choose. They really would like a relaxing beach vacation, and would do one tour of some kind. They have no idea how to divide up the 1500.00. What percentage should be accomadations and what percentage for food. I like the idea of the discount card.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

Tell us what airport they're flying into/out of and arrival and departure times (in case they need a night near the airport). Some beaches make more sense from San Jose and some are much closer to Liberia. It would also be useful to know what kind of activites they're interested in to help us make useful recommendations. Surfing? Ziplines? Wildlife?

As just one example, I'm partial to the south Caribbean coast and would suggest they fly into SJO, head for Arenal for a couple of nights and then on to Puerto Viejo. Spend the week at Banana Azul just north of town. Take a hiking/snorkel trip at Cahuita National Park, rent bikes to check out the various beaches and then take a whitewater rafting trip on the Pacuare the day befoe departure. The Pacuare is the most beautiful (and exciting) whitewater in Costa Rica and some companies that run this trip will pick them up in Arenal and after rafting drop them in Puerto Viejo.

Check out packages at the hotel at: www.bananaazul.com/tours.php… They have a volcano, jungle, beach package for 4 nites and if you add 2 additional nights in PV you can get the package for $1382 to which you must add dinners and a last nite near the airport. Package includes activities but not dinners. Close to your budget and great romantic hotels.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 19:14
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

It is a good amount of money per day...totally agree with SURFSPONGE...and during that time they can shop around most hotels are in green season rates..

They can fly In at SJO and Out at LIR...

From Sjo to Manuel Antonio...nice places to stay simple but nice...La Posada Inn...Hotel San Bada...Inn On the Park...Cabinas Hotel Espadillas...Cabinas Hotel El Bosque...a little better The Falls...Verde Mar...

More money...but they can check prices...SUU...Mariposa...

Tamarindo..I will try Tamarindo Diria...great loocation...a Tamarindo landmark...

They can move around in shuttles or even public transportation is good and affordable of course can be slow..some times...

For food they will find places everywhere...get used to eat RICE AND BEANS or BEANS AND RICE...we love them...and good price for good old CASADOS!

roadadvisor

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

If they fly into San Jose, the flight arrives at 1pm. Liberia they arrive 8:45pm.

They would like to stay at one Hotel location. They would be interested in a zip line or guided wildlife tour. My son likes to surf but is a novice. Swimming beach is a must. Hotel with a pool and air conditioning.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

What time is the departure flight from SJO and Liberia? This might also make a difference....as we don't know if they will have to spend a night in SJO before leaving....

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

Thank you, I will start researching your suggestions. Rice and Beans are a favorite staple in our house... enjoyed by all.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

Flights depart San Jose at 1:40pm. Depart Liberia at 7:50 am.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon couple on a strict budget of 1500.00 US.

I've been thinking about this a little bit more. The reason I asked about the departure time is because they may have to spend a night in San Jose or Liberia when arriving and before departure date.

I assume the strict budget also has to include all transportation? If so, this is a serious consideration as well. For example, none of the 'budget' transportation services run at night (if arriving in Liberia) and the latest service I could find from San Jose is at 3:00 (if going to Manuel Antonio) which they would be cutting very close to make with their 1:00 arrival time.

There is the public bus but I would not want to consider that on my honeymoon...and they should know Spanish.

As for the All-Inclusive, I would not recommend that either. Most are a little isolated from anything and tours from these establishments are costly. If they want All-Inclusive, then I think Mexico would be better for them. Playa Del Carmen comes to mind as there are so many there and they are within walking distance to all the bars and restaurants of town.

While I do realize it's their honeymoon, how set are they on having super luxury? There are so many nice little places that offer what they want (pool, a/c, close to beach) but don't expect 400+ thread count sheets, you know what I mean?

For example, La Posada in Manuel Antonio offers cute little bungalows, air conditioning, pool and very nice breakfast in the price. They are located RIGHT next to the entrance to the park for a guided tour. They are 5 minute walk to the beach and bus service and price is only $60 until Dec 16th!

So have them think about what they might be willing to sacrifice and I'm sure we could offer better solutions and advice!

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo
Recent Conversations