We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

affordable places to eat

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
affordable places to eat

I was in Tamarindo in November and going back over Christmas. I have to say I was really surprised to see how expensive most of the restaurants were. $15-$30 seems to be the norm for dinner. Even a simple breakfast was around $10.

Now, Im not opposed to paying for a good meal, but most of these are expensive considering the quality, comparable to restaurants in the US.

I also, kind of feel like Tamarindo should have some good options for those not wanting to pay these higher prices.

I would love to know people's opinions/suggestions on good spots to eat (breakfast, lunch and dinner) that are a bit more price conscious.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: affordable places to eat

What kind of food are you looking for? What are you drinking with your meals, etc?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: affordable places to eat

nothing in particular! doesnt have to be fancy. Just good places to grab a decent bite at reasonable prices. Any suggestions?

J S
San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: affordable places to eat

We just got back from Tamarindo and I understand what you mean by the high prices. I recommend a local restaurant called "Soda el Buen Comer". We really liked their rice dishes which cost $6-$10. They have many other items on the menu. The place is across the street from Witch's rock surf camp. Our waiter Rodrigo provided great service and patiently explained the dishes to us.

Enjoy!

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: affordable places to eat

Breakfast will be less expensive, so eat a big one. See if you can stay somewhere that includes breakfast.

Look for the smaller restaurants, often they are very good. Lunch is less expensive than dinner.

Watch your beverage tap, often that's what drives up the price of a meal. Instead, drink lots of water - very good for you in the tropics anyways. Witch's Rock has a "fine dining" option for $12 - not bad. Pick up a coupon magazine in front of the Shops @ Diria Hotel.

Prices must be very reasonable in Austin. Many visitors here say the restaurants are very good and a little less expensive than say L.A., Dallas, Atlanta, New York, Toronto, etc.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: affordable places to eat

I never had a hard time finding a place for whatever price range I felt like spending at that particular moment. FT's has some good burritos that are inexpensive, and they have an inexpensive breakfast as well. That is one of my "go to" spots for a cheaper meal.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: affordable places to eat

ft's just put out a new menu, too. really good! but you are going to be paying around 10 for meals in most places.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: affordable places to eat

It's not that its really any more reasonable here, in Austin. It's that there are options. It just seems like most of the restaurants in Tamarindo have moved into the expensive category. Which happens when a destination becomes popular. Dont get me wrong I've had some good meals there in Tamarindo and I do understand the owners need to make money. But when you have a family of 4 it adds up quickly. I may also be comparing it a little to my other favorite country, Mexico!

Thank you for the Witch's Rock recommendation! I will certainly certainly give it a try.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
95 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: affordable places to eat

Cafe Nari in front of the Diria has a great tico breakfast for about $4.50 including coffee. They also have an all you can eat pasta night once a week.

Gil's Place is pretty affordable and delivers.

There is a new Falafal place just past Bar 1.

For further reading:

beachcondotamarindo.com/page-beach-condo-tam…

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
95 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: affordable places to eat

Forgot Le Petit Cafe under Bar 1 is a great deal for breakfast and lunch. Not open for dinner, however. I believe their breakfast burrito is only $4. Great avocado BLT on the lunch menu...

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: affordable places to eat

If you are looking for cheap prices you can really enjoy very good typical costa rican food in Villarreal the litle town outside tamarindo, there is a Soda called Las Palmas is really good.

In tamarindo you can go to FT´s(Burritos, hamburgers) or Go to Pipos Dog (Hot Dogs) the prices there are between $3 to $5.

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo