We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to book any tours in advance?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need to book any tours in advance?

Myself and two buddies are going to be in Tamarindo from 28 Dec through 3 Jan. We are looking forward to some lazy days on the beach, but also want to do some activities...we're thinking:

1. We are interested in doing some form of jungle trekking, where we can see lots of exotic wildlife...we've done the ziplining thing many times before and don't necessarily care to do it again...any good ideas for a good jungle tour?

2. Definitely want to do a day of deep sea fishing...any suggestions for this? Should we just line this up when we get there?

3. We also want to do one of the day cruises. Undecided whether to go with Blue Dolphin or Marlin del Ray. Which would be better for 3 guys, 30 years old?

Given that we are there during a very busy time, should we book any of these ahead of time, or would we be safe to just book once we get there?

Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to book any tours in advance?

This is what I am thinking: Well... good luck with that.

You say that you are going to be here during a busy time and then ask if you need to book tours in advance. Huh? Most tours will already be booked. You can try booking some tours now or just wait and ask at your lodging what's available.

As for "jungle trekking" and seeing "lots of exotic wildlife" You can hike one of the many National Parks - www.costarica-nationalparks.com And if you are looking for "exotic wildlife" I am assuming that would include monkeys, sloths, coatimundis, birds, iguanas and other lizards, frogs, tarantulas and scorpions. For big cats or tapirs - forget it.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
95 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to book any tours in advance?

You should probably book fishing at least. Those guys get reserved out way in advance. My favorite captain is Lee Keidel of Kingpin Sportfishing. He works with a couple others if he is booked himself.

For hiking, you might take a day trip up to the Rincon de la Vieja area. Various our operators will take you up there to hike and perhaps mud baths.

Blue Dolphin and Marlin del Rey are almost exactly the same experience. Snorkel, snacks, booze and head back around sunset. Maybe choose based on price? You might want to book it though because you'll be in Tamarindo the busiest week of the year. Other activities: beachcondotamarindo.com/tamarindo-activities…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to book any tours in advance?

Edaviscr - thanks for the info that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I will book ahead then, assuming they are not full. This trip has sort of come together last minute so this is what we have to deal with.

Hattiecostarica, no need for the condescending tone, not very helpful. But I do appreciate the bits of info you gave so thanks.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to book any tours in advance?

Sorry niter, I just couldn't resist. It's kind of like expecting to easily find a taxi in Toronto on a Friday afternoon at rush hour when it is raining.

Another possibility is to check with any of these: XploreCR, Maleku Tours or Papagayo Vargas Tours. Another boat possibility is the Sea Bird which is a catamaran and gets rave reviews.

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to book any tours in advance?

Don't listen to Hattie's condescending and wrong comments; she is a lippy one sometimes. Tours do not completely fill up over Christmas far in advance. Most tours, like canopy, estuary, atvs, surf lessons can be booked the same day, although certain ones like the catamarans should be done the day before, at least. There are millions of fishing charters, you only need to book in advance if there is a particular boat captain you want (Lee Keidel).

6. Re: Need to book any tours in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2012, 10:18