We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boys Surf Trip

Irvine, California
1 post
Save Topic
Boys Surf Trip

My son and 3 other friends want to travel to Tamarindo for the Sr Trip. They plan to spend a week surfing. How safe is it for 17 and 18 year old boys?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boys Surf Trip

Hmmm.....now that's a loaded question if I ever heard one! Tamarindo is a great place to learn how to surf and have a good time. It's not dangerous, but they should also use common sense. Witch's Rock Surf Camp is a great place to send them if they are seeking a surf camp.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boys Surf Trip

Wow! A very good question indeed! Only you know how well behaved you son is, and hopefully have a good idea about his friends! There could be trouble if they start drinking. I doubt any bar in the area would check their ID's so they would probably be served alcohol...and without supervision, (sometimes even with adults around) they might even be offered drugs.

Tamarindo is safe if you use common sence but teenage boys don't always have that, especially when away from home and without adult supervision. If you really know your child and his friends and don't believe that would be an issue, then they should be safe!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boys Surf Trip

Tamarindo has quite the nightlife and lots goes on (good and bad) as noted above. Consider playa grande just accross the estuary where Surfing is better but really no nightlife.

As a dad of a teenage boy, I personally would not let a 18 yo boys go unsupervised in Tamarindo. Grande I would consider

just my two cents

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boys Surf Trip

As others have said, Tamarindo is safe like anywere else if you are carfull and use common sense, so the answer really depends on your son and friends. Drinking age in Costa Rica is 18 and the 17 year olds will also probably be served at many places without being asked for ID. Now the question is how nuts will they go with this new found freedom... And as we all know, when one is young and having fun and tropical cocktails are involved common sense takes second seat sometimes. You know your sons and their friends, so really you are the only one that has the answer to your own post...

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boys Surf Trip

Tamarindo is nice but there is party at night, so it is mostly up to the kids. Safe? yes it is a safe town. Common sense as anywhere. I like Tamarindo a lot.

6. Re: Boys Surf Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo