We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake.

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
S. Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Earthquake.

The AP is reporting a 7.9 magnitude earthquake in CR this morning. The epicenter is reportedly near Nosaro, 38 miled from Liberia.

My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone affected. Please keep us up to date on the damage.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
730 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquake.

My prayers go out to everyone there as well. I'm reading about reports of after shocks which can be just as damaging. Thank goodness that tsunami warnings were cancelled. This is so sad. Such wonderful people there - my heart aches for anyone affected.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquake.

I was wondering about aftershocks. I have read in a few places that there haven't been any which would have been odd. It seems those reports are incorrect. We are going to Tamarindo on Friday from Texas. So this earthquake has made me a little nervous.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquake.

We have close to 60 aftershocks in the last 3 hours...and counting...the biggest one around 4.5...but they will go down...most of the time that is the rule!

roadadvvisor

Edited: 05 September 2012, 20:11
guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthquake.

Tamarindo is doing ok, Diria is open and fully operational.

Here in Rincon de la Vieja things are ok.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earthquake.

Good to know JoseB...good to know!

roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
63 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earthquake.

We were on the 5th floor of our condo in Tamarindo when the earthquake hit - relatively strong shaking. Items fell off shelves and plaster walls had some minor cracks with pieces of palster falling in the floor. A water pipe broke at our water heater and flooded our hallway. But generally it was cosmetic damage - not apparent structural damage. Water and electricity was off for about two hours.

There was a tsunami warning but none occured here.

There is some visible damage to clay tile roofs at Diria and Sunrise condos from where we are, but overall buildings are intact. It is likely that most structures have some cracking in finishes and fallen objects but generally buildings fared well.

I walked through town just before noon - most stores were closed (probably to clean up fallen items). I expect that most things will be back to normal in a day or two.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earthquake.

It was strong enough to be felt on the Caribbean coast. Very relieved to hear that everything seems to be quickly recovering.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Earthquake.

Yesterday we went out to the streets to see the damage caused by the earthquake.

Check out this video we made about that.

tamarindobeach.ws/videos/…

9. Re: Earthquake.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2013, 10:15