We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf Excursions

Florida
Level Contributor
108 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Surf Excursions

I am just starting to do some research for a possible special trip for my husband's birthday. He is an avid surfer but I am not. Are there companies that offer daily surf excusions (group not private) or do we need to book a package. We do not want to rent a car and I don't want him surfing alone. He would like to surf witch's rock and other places that required a boat trip.

TIA

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,415 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf Excursions

SUCH A NICE GIFT FOR HIM..!

The best is once in Tamarindo shop around...a lot of nice guys and good reputable companies to help you...the boat trip to Playa Naranjo ...witch´s rock...is somenthing else...nice for you to go with the group...it is an incredible huge beach...

No you do not have to book any package...you can PM Surfsponge...incredible nice decent person ...he is in Tamarindo and as long as I know a great surfer!

roadadivsor

Florida
Level Contributor
108 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf Excursions

Thank you for the information.

Also I have been using the link for area businesses (surf shops) you provided in another thread. It is very useful. Thanks

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surf Excursions

I just got back from my honey moon and am a surfer. Tamarindo beach has awesome waves at the river mouth. Also playa langusta just south has great waves (you can take a cheap taxi there). You can rent boards in Tamarindo from Iguana for $10 a day (right next to the Kui sushi place). I didn't go to witches rock, as I would have had to ditch my new wife for the whole day, but if you are treating him that would be a nice excursion (a couple hundred bucks). Boat would bring him out to the break from Tamarindo. playa avellanas is a half hour south of tamarindo. You probably can get a car service there (not positive). Awesome break and great restaurant on the beach.

4. Re: Surf Excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 21:41
Edited: 30 December 2014, 21:41
5. Re: Surf Excursions

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 21:41
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Surf Excursions

We are agree with surfnjwaves, witches rock is a amazing surf point, is a little expensive but nothing to worry about, you could check by yourself or with some companies and share a witches rock's surf trip. In Tamarindo you can use Kellys, Iguana Surf or Waves Costa Rica. In Playas del Coco/Witches rock there is a company called Viajes del Pacifico.

Also, Waves Costa Rica has the option of a Surf-bus, they can drive you to Avellanas-Playa Negra-Playa Grande-Conchal for $20 (per person, per beach)

They website is http://www.wavescr.com/

Surfing on Costa Rican Pacific Site is life the surf, enjoy it with someone profesional.

Adf

Florida
Level Contributor
108 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surf Excursions

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

One more question if I may -

Which hotels on the beach in the Tamarindo area can you surf at within walking distance?

Thank you.

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surf Excursions

All of them in the main town of Tamarindo are within easy walking distance. The town is small and only goes back a few blocks from the beach. I stayed at hotel jardin del eden, but it was our honeymoon. If I was going with buddies or on a normal trip I would of stayed at my casual place. The only place I would stay away from is Diria, locals hate it and is considered an eye soar in their community.

9. Re: Surf Excursions

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 08:35
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surf Excursions

Check this guys there specialize in surf trips, there the best in this area.

www.boosadventures.com