We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

I am staying in Tamarindo and would like to see the turtles nesting at Playa Grande. Is there a way to get to the national park therefrom Tamarindo without signing up for a $50/per person tour from Tamarindo? I know the fee at the national park is only $25. Thank you!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

You can try ...once at Playa Grande..but now days for the protection of the turtles from humans...every body most have a professional guide with them...

roadadvisor

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

Sure, if you have a car you can drive yourself. Currently you need to register in the morning at the ranger station in Playa Grande, with your passports. If you're lucky, they may take your reservation by telephone. They will tell you what time to come back in the evening for the tour (depending on moon cycle and tides).

Overall, the $50 tour is really not such a bad deal, saving you some time and having to drive some very dark roads late at night.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

Good point about the driving at night. I guess we'll reserve a tour. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

if you are more adventurist, you can walk to the north end of the beach in Tamarindo past Witches Rock surf camp, and get a boat across the estuaraury for $1, bring a flash light, then walk up the beach at Playa Grande about 25 minutes, to the Tortuga Inn there, and arrange to hook up with a guide.

You can not use your flashlight near the turtles, unless it has a red filter as to not disturb the beast, and for sure NO Flash on phones/cameras.

San Jose
Level Contributor
257 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

Sorry for hijaking this thread,

We will be in Tamarindo tomorrow, how are the chances to see Turtles this weekend?

thanks

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

I really recommend NOT walking this section of beach at night. Access to the beach is restricted by the rangers. These turtles are critically endangered and people walking unguided on the nesting beach with a flashlight really does not help.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

Rua, word is that there are not a lot of arrivals in Playa Grande (leatherbacks). Call the 2653-1687 which is the local Association of guides and ask how things look. If chances are not good send me a PM and I will give you the number of a company that have been taking tourist to Playa Mina to see the black turtles which are more likely to see in these days

Edited: 28 December 2012, 16:22
Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

@sailor-please let us all know the contact details for the Mina tours, I'm sure many people would appreciate another option.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

Any recommendations for a reputable Turtle Nesting Tour company that will pick us up at our hotel in Tamarindo?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtle Nesting tour from Tamarindo

Where EXACTLY (address or landmark please) is the Local Guide Association at the Tamarindo satellite ranger station? Thank you.

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo