We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarindo to Rio Celeste for a day trip - Possible?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tamarindo to Rio Celeste for a day trip - Possible?

Greetings All,

I will be in CR from 9 Feb to 23 Feb 2013 -

3 nights San Jose

7 nights Tamarindo

4 nights San Jose

Question - What would be the best way to see Rio Celeste?

--Purchase a day trip tour or rent a car to do it myself?

I have a condo rented for a week in Tamarindo, but am not opposed to renting a room closer to Tenerio National Park if it makes sense.

What are your thoughts?

Please provide any insight in which you feel could be helpful.

thanks,

snow

Native's Way
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Tamarindo Transfers & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarindo to Rio Celeste for a day trip - Possible?

You can do it as a day trip from Tamarindo. However, it's about 3 hours from Tamarindo to the entrance to the National Park. You can rent a car and drive yourself - but most people go with an organized tour in order to avoid the 6 hours of driving.

Of course, you can stay in the Tenorio area - there is lodging of all sorts and prices. If you rent a car, you can drive yourself from Tamarindo and stay in nearby Bijagua (about 9 miles from the entrance to the National Park) or there are a couple of places closer to the Park entrance.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarindo to Rio Celeste for a day trip - Possible?

Thanks -

I must apologize - I should have done more research before asking this question; it was already asked. :)

Snow

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarindo to Rio Celeste for a day trip - Possible?

No problem. Now you know.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamarindo to Rio Celeste for a day trip - Possible?

you can try to stay around the Tenorio area, HattieCostaRica knows a lot about the area,

there is an option for blue waterfall in the Rincon de la Vieja area, at Las Pailas, it is called La Cangreja , the hike is over 1 hour each way from the parks entrance, and driving from Tamarindo is 90 minutes.

tripadvisor.com.my/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzvAB1kjrY

San Jose, Costa Rica
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamarindo to Rio Celeste for a day trip - Possible?

There are many hotels around Tenorio, where you can stay, I been there twice in the past 6 months and stayed in Tenorio Lodge ones and Rio Celeste Hiden away. Every day they organize guided tours to Rio Celeste, is much better when you have someone telling you important facts about this wonderful place!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamarindo to Rio Celeste for a day trip - Possible?

There are quite a few places to stay in the Tenorio area, as cinditaly mentioned. Basically, there's everything from a rustic room in a "posada" to the luxurious Rio Celeste Hideaway - and everything in between.

There's Tenorio Lodge, Sueno Celeste, Rio Celeste Backpackers, Vista Miravalles, Hotel El Cacao, Hotel Los Volcanes, Heliconias Lodge, Casitas Tenorio, Celeste Mountain Lodge, Rio Celeste Hotel, Posada La Amistad, Rio Celeste Hideaway. I've left out a few, I know, but just can't remember them at the moment.

There's a new Tourism Information Center in Bijagua which will put you together with a guide or just provide some information. Any of the accommodations mentioned can find a guide for you or organize a tour with a guide. And yes, going with a guide enriches the experience - but really not necessary if you want to go on your own.

7. Re: Tamarindo to Rio Celeste for a day trip - Possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 23:17