We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarindo in August

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Tamarindo in August

I will be staying in Tamarindo at the Best Western Vista Villas in Mid-August as a 1 year anniversary trip with my wife. I am wondering if, since it will be the middle of the rainy "low season", we will have any issues regarding things not being open in the town. We stayed in Playa Flamingo in early October 2011 and the only restaurants that were open were Marie's and Arenas in the Flamingo Beach Resort. I am assuming since it is a larger town than Flamingo that it won't be as much of an issue in Tamarindo. I'm actually kind of hoping it will be a little more relaxed in August than during the winter high season. Not a big fan anymore of the "riff raff" but also want there to be stuff to do. :)

Also, is there much in the immediate vicinity of the Vista Villas that can easily be walked to... I ask this because from what I see on the map, the Vista Villas are on the edge of town. If not, what is an average cab fare (I assume that the OFFICIAL cabs are around, I believe those would be the red taxis?)

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarindo in August

All the restaurants will be open in August, and you are right, there are far fewer people in town at that time of year. You can walk to many of the restaurants and clubs from your hotel-- it really isn't that far. There are lots of taxis in Tamarindo but I believe only two of them are official ones (one of these is PDQ taxi). From your hotel to the center of town shouldn't be very expensive, 2000-3000 colones ($4-6)

Edited: 11 March 2013, 03:22
Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarindo in August

The first restaurant outside of our own is only 2 minutes away. That's El Coconut which has great dining (lobster speciality) or the easier vibe of Witch's Rock Surf camp which has all sorts of food including sushi. Right across the street, about a minute to the right is the brand new Pangas, which just everyone is raving about. The center of town is 700 meters, so you can hoof it in less than 10 minutes.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarindo in August

Tamarindo in August is actually very nice.

Weather is not as hot, afternoon showers normally.

You can do all of the tours in the area in the dry or the rainy season.

And yes, it will be a bit more relaxed.

Pura vida

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamarindo in August

Thanks for all the insight so far, everyone :)

5. Re: Tamarindo in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:16