We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling in mid June...

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling in mid June...

Hi-

Our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teens) want to see Costa Rica....the only time we can is mid June.

Wondering about activities at this time, being it is the beginning of the wet season, will we be effected or will it all depend on what we decide to do?

Our interests are zip lining, white water rafting, hiking, seeing volcanoes and deep sea fishing, along with days with beach time and taking surf or boogie board lessons...we like to keep busy...

Would love to hear opinions on places to stay, thinking we would like to stay inland for 3-4 nights and then on the beach for another 3-4 nights...does not have to be a hotel, heard there are also bungalows and tree houses...?

Also thinking of renting an SUV....but if roads are a mess due to rain, maybe not...?

And shall we book our activities once we get there, depending on the weather...?

Would appreciate any insight,

Thanks kindly

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
189 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling in mid June...

We are traveling to CR the end of June into July and I have no worries about the weather. I believe the heaviest rain fall is in August and September. I can't offer much advice but there are plenty of wonderful people on here that can. We are doing 4 nights in Arenal/La Fortuna area, 1 night by Poas Volcano, 3 nights in Manuel Antonio, and our last night will be spent close to the airport since we have a morning flight. We are renting an SUV 4x4 for our time there and booking are activities once we arrive based on weather and how we feel. I've made a list of all things we are interested in doing in each area along with recommendations I've received for what companies to use, etc. I'm sure some others can help you with some more direct information. Good luck!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,313 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling in mid June...

Do not wrory about weather. It is not the rainiest month, you will most probably have rain some days in the afternoon and during some nights. But weather is unpredictable, and there are many micro climates in Costa Rica. Most of the organised activities are anyway held in the mornings. For outdoor activities best location is Arenal. Volcano is not active at the moment but there are plenty of zipline, whitewater rafting, caving, rapelling, etc. Rincon de la Vieja shows slightly more volcanic activities with mud baths etc. For beach time there are several options on the Pacific side. From north to south Tamarindo area, Samara, Montezuma/Santa Teresa, Manuel Antonio, Dominical. Each different but each will offer you surfing and fishing. For accommodation if bungalows/villa check VRBO.com, or go through Hotel Reviews section on here. For some location SUV is highly usable (Monteverde, Montezuma, Dominical). Others can be done in a regular car. You should be OK by booking your activities on site, yet come prepared with a list of several providers in case a specific one will be fully booked. From my experiences, tour operators are working closely so all of clients are taken care of.

3. Re: Traveling in mid June...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:17