We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much cash to take?

harrisburg pa
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
How much cash to take?

I plan using my credit card for any place that will take a credit card, so about how much

cash does one need for one week in Costa Rica?

Hotel is already paid for, and I know what the airport transfers and departure taxes cost, so how much cash should we take?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much cash to take?

It's really hard to say. Everyone is different.

How much time will you spend away from the hotel? How will you pay for your airport transfers? Are you planning on taking any tours or excursions? Are you planning on having any meals away from the hotel? (Most restaurants will take credit cards but smaller ones probably not). Are you planning on going out at night? How much are you planning on spending on souvenirs or tips?

Basically, I would take about $200 in cash and then get more from an ATM if you need it. But -- that's just me.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much cash to take?

More than half the restaurants in town take credit cards, but a lot of the really great ones don't take them. However, if you find that you don't have enough cash, Tamarindo now has 4 ATMs, so you should be able to find find that you can use to withdraw more money.

Chicago
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How much cash to take?

I would bring at least $100-$200, and lots of singles/small bills for tipping. Beyond that it depends on what you are doing and where are you staying. Most places seem to take credit cards but it's much easier to pay with cash whenever possible.

Chantilly, Virginia
Level Contributor
437 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much cash to take?

Do the ATMs in Costa Rica work the same as in the U.S.? Do the CR banks have their own cash withdrawal limit or would the limits still be determined by our U.S. Bank limits at home? Can the CR ATM give you U.S. dollars and/or colones?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much cash to take?

1. Your withdrawal amount is determined by your bank. The only time it would be determined by the ATM is when it's out of money. I have, however, experienced ATM's where you can only withdraw 100,000 colones at a time. But you can withdraw more with another transaction immediately following the first one.

2. Many ATM's will give you either dollars or colones. Some will only have colones - mostly in smaller towns or rural areas.

Hartwell, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much cash to take?

We will be staying in Grecia for a week, touring from there. ATMs in town? I will bring US cash and Visa, but need to know if I can get more if/when needed. And do the local businesses prefer colones or dollars? Thank you. This is my first trip to CR, but have travelled many places previously. Do not want to offend or assume.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much cash to take?

You will find quite a few ATM's. No problem there.

Most businesses will accept either colones or dollars - but most will prefer colones. It's easier for them (no need to go to the bank and exchange, etc.) It might be easier for you also since prices will be in colones (and some in both colones and dollars.)

And thank you for being sensitive to local issues.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 15:26
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: How much cash to take?

Going to santa Teresa are ATMs available? And do the restaurants in this area accept credit cards?

9. Re: How much cash to take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 06:18