We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions, decisions!!!!!!

Burton-in-Kendal...
Level Contributor
76 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Decisions, decisions!!!!!!

We're in the early stages of planning a roughly 3 week trip in February next year. The more I read, the more confused I get. At this stage, I'd appreciate help with a couple of questions - probably more later!

We usually end our trips with a bit of beach time. We're not great ones for a lot of swimming in the sea but do like some good snorkelling. We hope to include both Pacific and Carribean sides on the trip so are really flexible. Can anyone recommend a good area for snorkelling in February. Reliable visibility is obviously really important.

Second, we're still deciding on which bit(s)(s) of rainforest and which bit of cloud forest to visit. Manuel Antonio sounds absolutely beautiful, but is obviously very busy. Is it still worth going there or do the number of visitors spoil it (bearing in mind we'll be in peak season)?

Many thanks for any help with these questions.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions, decisions!!!!!!

Manuel Antonio is worth seeing if you want beautiful beaches, lush foliage, and easy access to wildlife. We stayed at Tulemar Bungalows on our last trip, and it didn't feel crowded at all. They have their own beach there. We saw monkeys and sloths on the property. The national park is beautiful, but you will see a lot of other people there. We did a private tour with Manuel Antonio Expeditions and thought they were great. The Damas mangrove tour is fun too. February shouldn't be as busy as say Easter or Christmas. We've gone sailing and snorkeling in MA, and the snorkeling wasn't that great due to sediment in the water. You could see fish but had to be fairly close due to the visibility. The beach inside the national park is gorgeous.

Burton-in-Kendal...
Level Contributor
76 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions, decisions!!!!!!

Thanks so much for your quick response. Really helpful. Linda

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions, decisions!!!!!!

Around Cahuita and Puerto Viejo, weather permitted, snorkelling is relatively good, the advantage of the Puerto Viejo area is that the destination is a stretch of about 16 km with several beaches, lots of rainforest and many activities.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions, decisions!!!!!!

You're welcome, Linda. Not to confuse you more, but if you really enjoy snorkeling, you should take a look at going to Belize someday. The snorkeling at Hol Chan is fantastic.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,872 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decisions, decisions!!!!!!

If one of the reasons for your or is important for you...snorkeling is great at Cahuita NAtional Park area at the Caribbean side ...also no far from Cahuita Punta Uva...great beach mostly the Southern point for snorkeling...check around there...Korrigans Lodge and Gecko Lodge...many old houses that are mentioned as hotels...be aware of that...

Around the Central Pacific...once again if snorkelling is very important for you...check Uvita and Dominical area...about 3.45 hours from SJO...Caño island is in that direction...and is a unique plcae for snorkeling or diving.

Let me clarify...in my country NO hotel not a single hotel OWN any beach...some beaches are hard to reach but 100% of our beaches are public...for some reason some people wish to said that they stayed in a hotel with a beach belongs to the hotel...sorry but that is not correct...sorry about that...and just you are not surprised to see a lot of us Costaricans at any beach any time!

Thank you for asking at the Costa Rica forum about ideas to travel to Costa Rica...I can give you 100 of places around the world that are far better for snorkeling tahn Costa Rica ...but I think you were asking for Costa Rica places...

roadadvior

Edited: 27 April 2013, 01:17
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,872 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decisions, decisions!!!!!!

Sorry I forgat to mention...around UVITA ...check Tiki Villas...lovel small place...nice suites nice sizes...great views even Caño Island can be seen from the hotel front desk...and the people that run the place are the best...

roadadvisor

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decisions, decisions!!!!!!

3 weeks

3 areas

north pacific

central -south pacific

caribbean side

north pacific - rincon de la vieja volcano - flamingo conchal area - places to visit - las pumas - palo verde- catalinas islands - sunset crusies

central & south pacific - carara (for red macaws) -manuel antonio- ballena- dominical or drake bay

Caribbean- tortuguero-puerto viejo

as you go back to the central valley to return , you can do a trip to Poas volcano.

8. Re: Decisions, decisions!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2014, 05:16