We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 year anniversary trip @ Tamarindo Vista Villas

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
1 year anniversary trip @ Tamarindo Vista Villas

Looking for information on the best restaurants, shops, and activities (besides surfing and beach bumming) that is within easy walking distance from the Vista Villas.

Thinking of renting a car one of the days to either drive to Liberia and explore and maybe swing through Flamingo to eat at our favorite Flamingo restaurant, Marie's. Thoughts on that?

I hear that drug peddling is getting pretty bad in town. Are the dealers really pushy, or can I just say "no" and they leave me alone after that?

Also, I see many mixed reviews about the Vista Villas. There are reviews that are glowing and reviews that are horrible. I notice that the staff tends to respond to the bad reviews with an unforgiving and condecending attitude, so I hope that I have a great time and can leave a great review so I get a positive response!

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
742 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 year anniversary trip @ Tamarindo Vista Villas

Pangas beach club, El coconut, and Eat at Joe's are probably the closest restaurants to your hotel; all are quite different from each other but are worth a visit. The rest of the shops and restaurants are a short walk away. I haven't stayed there so I can't comment on the hotel itself. As for the drug dealers, I found them much less evident the last year or two. In any case, a simple "No, gracias" will work. My wife and I have never been hassled, nor have our sons, in four years of regular visits to Tamarindo.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 23:22
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 year anniversary trip @ Tamarindo Vista Villas

Thanks for the info! My wife was a bit concerned about the drug dealers since she has heard they are prevalent. They were non-existent to us when we were in the slower paced Flamingo Beach area in October 2011

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 year anniversary trip @ Tamarindo Vista Villas

Hey RTFagan,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us! We will do our darnest to make your stay as amazing as possible. We must say that we are not a hotel for everybody, and, generally speaking, the bad reviews are from people who come with unrealistic expectations. As you might have read from other reviews, our prices are very reasonable and we have a great location and a superb staff. Yes, we are an older property, and yes, that comes with certain challenges - like having been built when WIFI didn't exist, or when electronic locks weren't available in Costa Rica, but we do the best we can and always try and put things into a healthy living perspective and because of this, we smile and laugh a heck-of-a-lot more than staff in many other locations. Could we go about and plate our toilets in gold? Probably, but we wouldn't be able to offer rooms in the price bracket that we do.

So, enough about us, lets talk about you for a minute. Basically we are right at the edge of town, so you can pretty much get to any restaurant in town with about a ten minutes walk (a couple minutes in a taxi). Pongas, Patagonia, Nibanna, Seasons, and Noguis are all hits right now, however, Tamarindo has over 60 restaurants each with different levels of price, service, and quality, so let us know what you like when you are here and we'll point you in the right direction. As for renting a car to go to Liberia, you probably won't be overly intrigued with the town, however, there are a couple great attractions around Liberia that are definitely worth seeing: the Cortez Waterfalls, Palo Verde Nat'l Park, and Rincon De La Vieja (ask me, Trevor, for driving directions when you are down here).

We also have a bunch of fun activities here in town: surfing, sailing, kayaking, snorkeling, ATVs, zip-lining, bird-watching, jet skiing, etc.

As for drugs in town, you'll probably find the same number of them here as in any other American town, the only difference is that the culture doesn't really force them to hide out in houses with boarded up windows. Don't worry, they are not at all agressive and, like McDoc said, will leave you alone with a simple "no".

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
63 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 year anniversary trip @ Tamarindo Vista Villas

We retired in Tamarindo a couple of months ago and live not far from the Best Western Vista Villas. We consider all of the restaurants in Tamarindo (not Langosta) "walkable", although some may be a 10-15 minute walk. There are a number of restaurants along the main road, so you should have plenty to choose from. (FYI, El Crocodrilo is nearby but is closed for wet season.) El Coconut is very nice - can be a little pricey but their "$25 specials" are a good deal (not on the beach side). Pangas is a nice beach front restaurant close by.

We have not any problems with drug (or cigar/ souvenir) peddlers - just say "no gracias" and keep walking.

There is a video rental shop across the street if you want to rent DVD's and have a DVD player. The drive to Flamingo is an easy drive. Liberia is about an hour away - keep going straight at the light at the Pan American highway into town and continue until you reach the central square on the left to see a bit of a more typical CR town. North-east of Liberia, the one-day adventure tour at Hotel Guachipelin is one of the most fun tours I've taken in the area.

One warning: The Crazy Monkey bar adjacent to Vista Villas often gets pretty loud on Friday nights (ladies night) until 2 am.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
151 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 year anniversary trip @ Tamarindo Vista Villas

Thanks for the info everyone! Looking forward to spending time in Costa Rica again next month!

6. Re: 1 year anniversary trip @ Tamarindo Vista Villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo