We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can't wait to leave

long island
Level Contributor
72 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
can't wait to leave

i'm very grateful for the advice i received here in the forum. we're flying back to the states tomorrow after a day and a half in tamarindo which is a tourist trap full of american college kids. it's ugly, dusty, expensive and very unappealing. thank you for sending us to carrillo and samara.

Native's Way
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Tamarindo Transfers & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Canada
Level Contributor
362 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can't wait to leave

Well, it's not called "Tamagringo" for nothing. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can't wait to leave

Hey, we tried to warn you!

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can't wait to leave

Ouch!

Each to their own I suppose. Wasn't at all like that when we were there and would have been bored out of minds at Samara etc.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can't wait to leave

If you think it's dusty now, it's a good thing you were not there in the dry season! Count your blessings! HA!

Happy you enjoyed Samara and Carrillo.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can't wait to leave

In way Im with you...Samara and Nosara...great plsves...We have around 300 somenthing beaches...Tamarindo is just one of them...snd yes we love Americans..Canadians...etc...

Roadadvisors

Edited: 22 August 2013, 17:44
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can't wait to leave

In Tamarindo defense, I have to say that it's surely not more "dusty" than any other beach town with dirt roads and, I didnt find it "ugly" or "unappaling". It's a perfect beach to learn to surf and surf, the beach is long and nice, there's so many places where you can eat, costarican or other kind of foods, it's only 1 hour from Liberia airport and easy acess for day trips and, the sunsets are amazing !

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can't wait to leave

Obviously, "different strokes for different folks." It's not a place I would EVER want to return to but wawa makes it sound like a little slice of paradise!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,124 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can't wait to leave

Tamarindo is definitely in my top, say... 73 beaches...

All personal preference as Hattie stated. I like a beach where there is not another soul around, that's my kind of beach. Plenty of those here too.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can't wait to leave

LOL - told you so... Glad that you enjoyed the Samara area.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can't wait to leave

I am sorry fool, but since when is voicing a negative opinion akin to "bashing?"

I agree with the OP: To me, Tamarindo is a dusty tourist trap full of American college kids. I find it ugly (even though the surroundings are nice), expensive (compared to other areas in CR) and very unappealing (in part because of the dust, the crowd it tends to draw, and the general feeling of desperation I perceive when there). It's not a place I want to visit unless there is a really, really good reason for it. To me, there are plenty of places that are nicer.

As you can read in the OP, fox left rather quickly (after a day and a half). Perhaps he/she is allowed to stay long enough to form an opinion? What do you think? Perhaps he/she is also allowed to share this opinion, even if it is negative?

Edited: 24 August 2013, 02:03
Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo
Recent Conversations