We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

Lincoln, Nebraska
3 posts
Save Topic
Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

I was planning on visiting Tamarindo with my family in December. However, I read an article that there was a crocodile attack on a surfer October 13, 2013 near Tamarindo Vista Villas.

Is this a safe beach to swim at?

How often are crocs sighted in the water or near the beach?

Are the authorities doing anything to protect the swimmers?

Also, in a recent review of Tamarindo Vista Villas, the woman loved the hotel but also warned about swimming in the water because of the crocodiles.

I really would like to go to Tamarindo but I do not want to worry about my children swimming in the ocean and have them possibly attacked by a crocodile.

Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

I think this is the ONLY time I have EVER heard of an issue like that in northern Guanacaste in the last twenty years or so. I wouldn't worry about it - it is an absolute fluke. Rivers are a different story, but finding crocs in the ocean is not an issue you need to worry about.

By the way, with kids, I don't think I would stay at Vista Villas.

Tahoe City, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

Just don't swim near the river mouth (estuary). Go down the beach and try in front of the Diria Hotel. And I don't think there was an attack, just a sighting....and a little provoking by unsuspecting tourists. Go have fun.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

Just to clarify some info. It was more than a sighting. A Spanish surfer was bit and injured slightly:

ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/7-foot-c…

I know folks that have seen a large croc swimming off Manuel Antonio, and I've given up surfing around Tulin because of crocs.

Crocodiles inhabit most mid-size to major river mouths along the Pacific coast. Crocodile attacks on surfers or swimmers are extremely rare, but do happen. A local surfer was bit pretty badly a few years ago near Bejuco.

The Tamarindo incident happened very close to the estuary mouth, where there are often scores, if not hundreds of people in the water.

I agree w/ the advice, head down the beach some towards Diria, or if you've got little kids, all the way to Capitan Suizo.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/7-foot-c…

The surfer did point out that the crocodile has as much right to be there as he did! It is very unusual for someone to be attacked in the ocean though.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

OMG...Tico Times the worst more yellowish paperr ot digital media in our country...believe half of what ever they said...for some reason they are almost out of circulation...at least on paper no more thanks God...

roaadvisor

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

I'm just curious why you wouldn't recommend the Vista Villas for a family?

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

Dennis - in my experience, it can be too much of a party scene with a lot of noise and quite a few drunk people.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

Oh ok, thank you.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

Hi Dennis,

I am from Tamarindo and it is definitely a rare occurrence, however, not unusual. It is their breeding season so the mothers get extra protective. I do have two dogs that were eaten by a crocodile, but I grew up swimming in those waters and have never experienced another incident like this in Tamarindo. I would be extra cautious and do not recommend hat you try to cross the estuary to get to playa grande, too many tourists attempt this and the tides are very strong. You will see a croc or two during the day around the river mouth. Back in the day, before it was a national park, they used to remove the large crocs, but they no longer do so. The crocs used to not be anything to fear, but I would not swim near the estuary anymore. They have become much larger over time and more curious of their surroundings. Capitan suizo is on the opposite end of Tamarindo and it is a nice place to stay if you have a family and kids. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Edited: 27 October 2013, 20:22
Mentioned in this post
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
new hampshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tamarindo Beach crocodile attack and safety

Does anyone have an opinion about swimming in the mouth of the estuary on Langosta Beach by the Barcelo. We've been staying in that area for 6 or 7 years and have never heard of crocodile sightings. Maybe we've been foolish but the estuary doesn't really have much of a river here.

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo
Recent Conversations