We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarindo safety concerns

Which Tamarindo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tamarindo safety concerns

A group of 3 couples will be travelling to Costa Rica the first two weeks in February. I have been doing alot of research for this trip and the more I research the more afraid I become of travelling to Costa Rica. The info I am getting appears to be very negative. Am I just becoming overlly paranoid or does this area not a safe place to travel too?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tamarindo safety concerns

is this a tamarindo question or will you be driving around in other places?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tamarindo safety concerns

As long as you use good sense, you shouldn't have any problem with safety. The biggest crime problem in Costa Rica is petty theft so just take care of your stuff. And yes, don't come dripping with expensive jewelry or wear a $2,000 camera slung around your neck all the time.

Will you be approached by people selling drugs in some places - Tamarindo included? Probably. But just a shake of the head or a "No" will send them on their way.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tamarindo safety concerns

We just returned from staying/driving around Tamarindo...& from one Canadian to another, do the same thing that you do at home, keep your eyes open and if something doesn't look/feel right, back off.

We found Tico's to be warm & friendly, and we traveled as a couple, you are a group of six...no worries.

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tamarindo safety concerns

I agree with the above posters. We regularly travel to Tamarindo and travel around Costa Rica in our own vehicle. and feel very safe. In Tamarindo we generally walk everywhere and have not encountered any problems, but exercise common sense.

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tamarindo safety concerns

Thanks everyone for your quick response. Really appreciated. Yes we do like to travel around whenever we go to a different country. We like to see the real country and not just the resort. That being said we will probably go on tours offered by a reliable source. The town of Tamarindo we would like to walk to. Would it be a good idea to walk there for our evening meal? Some of my discomfort has been removed about this holiday. Thanks again.

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tamarindo safety concerns

Where will you be staying?

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tamarindo safety concerns

We are booked into the Barcelo Langosta. First timers to CR.

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
751 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tamarindo safety concerns

The Barcelo Langosta is at the south end of Playa Langosta, and it is a bit too far to walk at night and the road is dark and can be dusty. (The municipality keeps promising to pave it but it never seems to get done). I recommend that you take a cab; the Barcelo can call one for you. Although the Barcelo will provide all your meals I recommend you try at least one of Tamarindo's excellent restaurants. My favorites are: Seasons by Shlomy, Pangas Beach Club, Bamboo Sushi, and Nibbana. Definitely book a couple of tours such as the one day adventure tours to Rincon de la Vieja, Palo Verde River tour with a stop in Guatil, and the Catamaran cruise.

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tamarindo safety concerns

Thanks. All very good tour suggestions McDoc. We always do a catamaran cruise on holidays. A tour to get a first hand look at this country would also be great. As I have said before we all really enjoy seeing how the locals are living (not gauking) apart from the resort which is a very poor description of a country. The locals do not live in these resorts. We like to use the resort as a home base. Ten weeks and counting.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tamarindo safety concerns

Sharon, Costco sells a 3 pack of very powerful pocket-size flashlights that run on 3 AAA's for under 20.00...I always take one along on holiday. As McDoc says, the walk from Barcelo is kind of long, but if you feel like doing it, the flashlight will be invaluable...we walked about the same distance regularly after dinner and loved it.

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo