We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

I have read previous reviews on Dr Aborn but he is no longer practicing in Tamarindo. Would anyone recommend Dr Diego Vernava/North Pacfic Dental?? His quotes of prices seemed quite reasonable. Appreciate any advice. Thank you.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

Can you define "major dental work"? Most Highly Trained Oral Surgeons, Implantologists etc will be located near to San Jose/Escazu. Lots of info can be found with Patient Testimonials (Good and Bad) on those. My advice COMPARE credentials, prices and patient experiences and don't choose to have this important work done based only on location. Lots of Patients wish they had made better choices. Lots are thrilled at the choices they made, myself included in the latter.

2. Re: Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 17:05
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

Thxs obxpat,

I planned my "relaxing" vaca at friends who live in Tamarindo and already purchased tickets.

I thought while there I would get 4 veneers and a bridge fixed also.

Turns out I need about 6 extractions, 6 dental implants, (crowns later), 3 bridges plus the veneers!

I only have 6 days in CR so not enough time to visit friends plus get back and forth to the city. That is why I am considering getting about half done while in Tamarindo.

I can't imagine getting my whole mouth done in that amount of time plus the cost. (That doesn't sound Relaxing either!!) Am I making a major mistake?!!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

I'm not Dental Expert. Sounds like way too much to get done in 6 days at any clinic even assuming all six days are weekdays. Dentists typically do not want to do half of the work someone else started. If you need all of that done I would just plan another trip specifically for dental. I would not call my dental trips "relaxing" although I was suprised at how pain free the whole thing went. You will need hours in the dental chair for just the extractions and post placement for the implants. I would take your ?s and concerns directly to the Dental Clinic you are thinking of going to. Only they can determine if they can even fit you in for the work on the dates you have reserved to go. I saved in excess of $20,000 by having my dental work done in Escazu. Maybe take a relaxing vacation like you have planned and research dental while there. you could easily visit a clinic in Tamarindo for an exam/estimate and see if you are comfortable with them. I haven't read of any Dental services there. Most of the well known ones are around San Jose/Escazu. I'm sure most people would prefer to go to one at the beach. If you have good luck there please post!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

Well Thanks again, obxpat! Great suggestion!

Maybe I will just get the porcelain veneers for now. How long does that take?!

I need to get 2 teeth pulled and two dental implants but next trip I wanted to go to San Jose/

Escazu, and not sure about having a different dentist put on the crowns, as you mentioned.

But will check out Tamarindo and post when I get back.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

Just an update..to whom it may concern:

Returned (July 2014) from Tamarindo, CR after getting several dental procedures done by North Pacific Dental, Dr. Diego, and his surgeon... 6 Veneers, 4 implants, extractions, root canal..

completed in just 2 visits, without pain!! Very pleased with the results.

If anyone is interest in the details, you can message me.

Why go to the city when Tamarindo has professionals too and you can still enjoy your vacation on one of the most remarkable beaches I have ever seen?! Just sayin!

Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

I couldnt figure out how to message you- but I wonder what that set you back about?? Were coming to playa panama area in jan and my fiancé has a lot of dental work needed to be done. Crowns and route canals , would cost us 9000$ here ,was wondering if it was safe and maybe the cost we could estimate ? I've looked online and can't find too much , thank you .

Charlotte, North...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

Linda,

I have a villa in Tamarindo and Diego does my dental work. Two Fridays ago I went to have two extractions and implants. Alejandro his oral surgeon cam in put on some Satana and danced to my chair hit me with Lidocaine explained to me every procedure ha was doing and extracted my teeth immediate placed the implants and he was finished in an hour and fifteen minutes. Walked me next door to the pharmacy gave me two pain pills and three antibiotics. I had no pain and still have the pills. Took the antibiotics. The next day I was surfing. I go back in November for the crowns. Impression on a Monday, Diego will fly the impressions to San Jose and will place them on that Wednesday. My USA oral surgeon gave me an estimate of $ 7,000 without the crows. Diego charged me $ 3,200 with the crowns. Tell him you want the Chuck Childers discount and he will laugh and then give it to you. Diego e mail me everyday to make sure I was doing well. A lost art in the USA. When my business partner saw me he asked what it cost for 8 veneers, I sent Diego an e mail and with the Chuck Childers discount he quoted $ 185 per tooth ! If you want me to walk you through the whole process chuckchildersrealty@yahoo.com. They make going to the dentist fun !

Chuck Childers

Charlotte, North...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

Linda, I just replied to your first inquiry. Diego told me you had seen him. I asked if he made you pretty ! He said you were already pretty !

Took Him Fishing After He And Alejandro Finished.

Chuck Childers .

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need major Dental work in Tamarindo soon. Any new suggestion

Linda. Glad that it went so well for You! Good to know this work can be done in that area. I didn't find any info like this before I chose to go to Escazu. Still I'm very happy with the work Nova did. Just was there last wk for a ck up, xrays and a cleaning. Once You experience the level of service and compassion it's just hard to go back to a Dentist in the US. Add to that the price at about 40% of what we are charged and going to CR for dental is a no brainer.