We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

can anyone please recommend a car & driver service for pick-up at LIR airport and transport to resort in Tamarindo? what is approx. cost and how long is the drive, pls?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

www.liberiaairporttaxis.com/taxi_rates.php

www.ecotranscostarica.com

It's about an hour and a half from the airport to Tamarindo.

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

I use Avispas .. they're licensed, insured and a member of ICT the official tourism board here in Costa Rica.. the fare is $80 one way for a private shuttle

http://avispasadventures.com/

they're also listed here under activities for Playa del Coco and have a ton of excellent reviews

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g309243-Activiti…

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

We always use Xplore Costa Rica. They offer private as well as shared shuttles. Good drivers, vehicles well-maintained, and easy to deal with.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

If you are looking for the best ....ECOTRANS....

roadadvisor

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
126 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

We are also using Xplore Costa Rica too - their shared shuttle service is $25 a pop, they also offer private transport which is really reasonable if you have 4 or more people.

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

Avispa's Adventures private shuttle fare for 4 people is $80 each way so it's only $20 a person if you have 4 people ... If you have more than 4 they'll be glad to quote you... They're ranked #2 in this area for tours and I've personally used them when I didn't want to drive myself.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309243-d1…

is the link to their reviews here on TA

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

Just be sure at the resrvation time...to ask the kind of vehicle...and if driver speak English....some people here openly pushing for some comoanies...be carefull...for a commision somdtimes people will write anything...

.Roadadvisor

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

Yes I agree... call the offices... read the reviews .... some of the experts only recommend their friends

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

Just be sure at the resrvation time...to ask the kind of vehicle...and if driver speak English....some people here openly pushing for some comoanies...be carefull...for a commision somdtimes people will write anything...

in my case I reccomend only people and companies that I know in my well over 45 years working in the tourizt industry...it take more tha a few months to know my country..

.Roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car-driver service from LIR to Tamarindo

I don't really thing that "some of the experts only recommend their friends" is valid. Those of us with a lot of experience in Costa Rica and with this forum have recommendations for private transfers -- and some of them will be different. However, for the Guanacaste area, both xplorecostarica.com and ecotranscostarica.com are two of the best. There are others, of course: Tropical Tours Shuttles, Swiss Travel, liberiaairporttaxis.com as well as Avispas, etc.

As for "call the office" -- I don't really agree with that. I think you can get all the information you need online.