We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Tamarindo

Kansas City
2 posts
Save Topic
San Jose to Tamarindo

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to get from San jose to Tamarindo? Also has anyone heard anything about the Sunrise Condos in Tamarindo?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,590 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose to Tamarindo

Hi runnungmad

BEST is very subjective. You have several choices:

Plane: Sansa or Natureair

Transfer company - Interbus is the most popular - but there are other similar ones

Public bus

Hire a driver.

find a taxi to take you - some drivers hang out at the airport

Rent a car

It all depends on you. How much do you want to spend? How many of you are there? What time do you want to go? Do you want to get there really quickly? Do you want to drive in a foreign country where many of the roads are not that good?

All of the above methods have been dealt with at some time or other in this forum. Each one has its advocates. Do some searching and you will be able to figure out which is best for you.

good luck.

Pura Vida

raquel

Kansas City
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose to Tamarindo

Thank you...that's half the problem is I've done a ton of research and have seen most of these options. There are six of us going but we may split up in san jose (4 going to Panama and 2 of us staying in San Jose) meeting up in Tamarindo. We want to find the most economical way to make the trip...however spending hours on a bus with no AC is not something I want to do.

I've also heard stories about public transportation not being safe and buses being robbed. So I was worried about this option.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose to Tamarindo

I've never heard of any public buses getting robbed in Costa Rica. There are tourist buses (Interbus or Greyline) that provide air conditioned transportation between the tourist destinations in Costa Rica. From San Jose to Tamarindo is about $30/person

California
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose to Tamarindo

Rent a car.

The public buses in Costa Rica are safe. i travelled from San Jose to Tamarindo and San Jose to Jaco on public buses no problem. I brought my surfboard and backpack and no problems.

Just keep your eyes open around the bus stops.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose to Tamarindo

Contact Leo Roderiguez in San Jose (www.leratravelcr.com) and he will assist you in lining up a driver if that is what you chose. He is very familiar with Costa Rica, a college grad, speaks fluent English and a great driver. We used him 1 1/2 yrs. ago from San Jose to Tamarindo. We couldn't get enough of the stories, info. that he gave us as he drove. The crew going on to Panama may want to consider him if you don't. We will make our next arrangements around Leo's schedule, as do others on this post and www.fodors.com, and www.frommers.com You will have a great vacation no matter the mode of transportation

costa rica
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose to Tamarindo

given your budget, i'd go interbus or greyline. while some public bus routes are just as good, the tama-san jose route is VERY SLOW. they don't have express service on this route so you lose way too much time taking the bus, imo. i think sunrise are the ones right across the street from the beach so it's an excellent location and they're relatively new so should be a great option

7. Re: San Jose to Tamarindo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2008, 03:08
Danville, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Jose to Tamarindo

Unless you have lots of time, fly. Nature Air runs specials around $26 one way but you must buy ahead and they land at a different airport in San Jose than SJO. Sansa charges around $89. Your hotel will arrange transport by bus or van.

NYC
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: San Jose to Tamarindo

where's the Nature Air airport in San Jose - how close to SJO?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Jose to Tamarindo

NatureAir flies out of Tobias Bolanos airport in Pavas - a cab will take about 20 to 30 minutes to get there from SJO.

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo
Recent Conversations