We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

Which Heredia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

Can anyone recommend something to do and places to stay -- low key and relaxing, for one day near or on the way to Las Horquetas (from San Jose)?

My family arrives in Costa Rica late one evening in mid-December. Two mornings later, early, we are to catch the tractor ride in Las Horquetas up to Rara Avis. My wife will be exhausted from an intense period of work. But, I'll have two active and curious teenage boys with us, also. So, I'm looking for something that will be beautiful and peaceful for my wife and active for the boys. We will only be there for about 1/2 and an evening.

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

If you do not want to be in San Jose I would recommend the Finca Rosa Blanca in Santa Barbara Heredia, great pool, nature trails etc. If that is very expensive then the Hotel Bougainvillea in Santo Domingo, Heredia.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,265 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

You could stay at somewhere like Mirador Sanchiri and explore Volcan Irazu and the Orosi valley.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

These are great suggestions. And they let us (a) avoid staying a night in San Jose, waking up somewhere beautiful on our first day and (b) have two nights in a row in one place.

Thanks much for the suggestions!

Does anyone know places even further north of route 32 which might be even closer to Rara Avis?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

Selva Verde near Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui would also work. They have a pool and a large reserve for nature hikes onsite. Check out nearby Pozo Azul for horseback rides and whitewater rafting on the Sarapiqui.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,265 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

Also north of there is La Selva Biological Station.

Another intriguing possibility would be Heliconia Island, which has its own B&B.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

You can also do a kind of circle trip...Arenal Volcano...and from there to Sarapiqui..Arenal will be perfect for everybody...and just 3 hours from SJO...from Arenal to Horquetas about 2 hours and 30 minutes...

roadadvisor

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

Roadadvisor:

Great idea. We are doing exactly the trip you outline, but in the opposite direction. Our first major stop is Horquetas. After a few days there, we head off to five days in Arenal. Then off to the beach somewhere TBD.

Right now I have this little pocket of time -- one day, two nights -- between landing at SJO and when the tractor hauls us from Horquetas to Rara Avis I'm working on filling.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

www.laboruca.com

9. Re: Killing Time Between San Jose and Rara Avis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 17:45