We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Selva Verde--where should we hike?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Selva Verde--where should we hike?

We'll be spending four nights there in February 2009. The real question I have is whether what should we do with our first two mornings--two separate mornings at La Selva, or one each of La Selva and Selva Verde, or do one of the special courses at La Selva plus a regular half-day tour of La Selva.

Here's our rough plan:

Friday: Arrive in SJO, pick up car and drive up

Saturday: A.M. guided tour, p.m. wildlife boat tour

Sunday: A.M. guided tour, p.m. whitewater rafting

Monday: Early a.m. birding tour (free), Helliconia Island, Tirimbina night tour

Tuesday: Early a.m. birding tour, hit the road for Manuel Antonio

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Selva Verde--where should we hike?

I would definitely do the hald day at La Selva, you can arrange in advance as they don't take huge groups, so may want to get your spot. Instead of the free birding tour one morning, you may want to arrange a guide, Alexander I hope is still there and he is great. Don't recall the price but it was pretty cheap. Also, if you hike about the grounds yourself, make sure to cross the street and walk thru that area as well. That is where the bungalows are and it's very peaceful & quiet up there. I pretty much had the whole place to myself, never saw any guests over there til the day I was leaving, but you don't have to be staying in the bungalows to wander about. I'd suggest once you cross the main road - walking up the gravel road instead of the steps, lots of monkeys & birds in the area. Have a great time.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Selva Verde--where should we hike?

We were planning on doing at least one half-day at La Selva. I guess we were wondering if on the second day we should do another half-day there, or if we should book a half-day tour of Selva Verde.

3. Re: Staying at Selva Verde--where should we hike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 21:18