We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Selva or Selva Verde

San Diego...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
La Selva or Selva Verde

I already made my reservation at La Selva. Since then, after reading about activities and reviews of La Selva & Selva Verde, I am having some doubts about whether La Selva is the right choice.

I would appreciate if anyone can share their feedback on the following issues.

1. Is La Selva safe ? I have read they don't have safe boxes. Is that true ? Does the absence of safe boxes make La Selva unsafe ?

2. We are vegetarians ? Is the food at La Selva edible ? We don't care for great food as long as there is filling vegetarian food.

3. I understand La Selva might have the best wildlife in the area. Is that accurate ?

4. We are also interested in doing other activities like chocolate tour, bat tour, white water rafting.

But we will not have our rental car. Is it possible to arrange transportation from La Selva to these activities easily.

5. We are a family of 3 and have a 9 year old daughter with us. Is La Selva too spartan to stay for us ?

6. Is it better to stay at Selva Verde and visit La Selva. Or is it better to stay at La Selva and do above activities.

I hope answers to above questions will also help future travelers.

Thanks.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,485 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Selva or Selva Verde

I would say probably Selva Verde, as it has a full service front desk that will arrange all tours and transportation for you. Plus, there's a swimming pool on site, and you can still tour La Selva from there.

And, there is plenty of wildlife at Selva Verde. We saw quite a few mammals and lots of gorgeous birds.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Selva or Selva Verde

Agree with RAC - it sounds like Selva Verde will fit your needs as for lodging, but do a tour at La Selva. I've stayed at SV twice and have been very pleased with the amount of wildlife right on the grounds.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Selva or Selva Verde

We loved staying at Selva Verde. The location right on the river is very nice; if you can, try to get a room towards the back of the property by the river. It's a beautiful property; we saw toucans and howlers there. The rooms are simple but comfortable, and they have cool elevated walkways that keep you dry in the rain. We did a morning birding tour of La Selva and saw lots of nice birds and even a fer de lance, but personally I wouldn't have wanted to stay there; it's more biological station than ecolodge. Selva Verde has a great little restaurant that's open for dinner; they have a chef that makes wood-fired pizzas, good drinks too. Their menu was pretty extensive. They also have a buffet but in our experience the made to order food at the restaurant is much better. There's a nice reserve across the river where you can hike with one of their guides.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Selva or Selva Verde

I have pictures and reviews of both places if you want to check them out. Forgot to mention that we saw a kinkajou on our night hike at Selva Verda and saw peccaries at La Selva.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,388 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Selva or Selva Verde

I think you got all the right answers above. Stay at Selva Verde and do a visit to La Selva (remember to book your hike in La Selva in advance). For chocolate tour go to Tirimbina (and if lucky as we were, you will be allowed to clean the bowl after the presentation!).

Mentioned in this post
Tirimbina
Tirimbina
Province of Heredia, Costa Rica
6. Re: La Selva or Selva Verde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 04:15