We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

Which Cahuita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

Hi there my sister and I (mid 20s') will be visiting Costa Rica this coming November (after Mexico and on our way to Peru) I have done some research and am looking forward to coming to Cahuita for many reasons. #1 Aviarios Wildlife Sanctuary! #2 Beautiful beaches #3 Zipline tours #4 Relaxation #5 Snorkelling... The list goes on! My question is... where is the best area to stay to be able to do everything (we won't have a car). Originally we were looking at staying in Cahuita, then in Puerto Viejo and now I've stumbled upon Punta Uva! How far apart are all these places? Is there easy accessible transport? Any helpful tips or suggestions from someone who knows!?

Lulu from New Zealand.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

Cahuita is roughly 15 kilometers north of PV and Punta Uva is roughly 8 kilometers south of PV. People do ride bikes between Punta Uva and PV but the road is rough and there is bad visibility at night. Cahuita and Punta Uva both have good coral reefs but visibility will likely be very poor in November. Here's a rainfall and temp chart for our area. The green rainfall also gives you a rough idea of ocean visibility here - higher lines = less visibility.

www.tropicalreservations-cr.com/weather.html

Where you stay just depends on how much of what you want to do. If you want more night life you'd want to be close to PV. If you want uncrowded beaches then you'd want to be down by Punta Uva (there's also howler monkeys, sloths, etc down there). Cahuita has the National Park, monkeys & other wildlife.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

Muchas Gracias! We will be there in early November so hopefully the rain fall isn't too much! I can't decide because I want it all! Is there transportation between these places - I.E taxis/buses? Is it safe to walk/bike at night?

Can't wait!

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

There are taxis available, just have your hotel give you the number for a reputable one. There are also local buses available.

Safety: use common sense - it's Central America and you're women. Don't walk alone in isolated areas on the beach or in dark alleys. Feel free to private message me if you have any specific questions regarding safety.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

I spent two weeks in Puerto Viejo last year during the last week on October and first week of November and the weather was stunning!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

Thank you so much for all your help, final question... for now! Which beach is nicer (for swimming, walking, sunbathing, relaxing etc... out of Playa Negra and Playa Cocles? We are going to have about 3 days 'down time' after exploring the area and before heading to Peru to walk the Inca Trail so want to do some serious relaxing! We are looking at staying at either Banana Azul or La Costa de Papito - and both look stunning which is not helping!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

Both beaches are nice - Playa Negra is more deserted than Cocles which attracts a larger crowd and surfers. Cocles has a lifeguard on duty and there are a few restaurants across the street

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
267 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

Cahuita and Punta Uva both have good coral reefs but visibility will likely be very poor in November.

Based on that chart, it looks like snorkeling will not be good in May. Is that true?

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

Yes. visibility is about 1/2 meter in May and Jun, just enough to make you wonder what's in that hole you just put your face up to.

Visibility is excellent right now, the sea is tranquilo...

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

meant to say also in November. It's going into surf season in Nov so the seas pick up and there's much sand and debris churning in the water....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, Punta Uva help!?

We like both Playa Negra and Cocles and you can walk to Puerto Viejo from both areas. At Playa Negra I recommend Banana Azul. You can't beat it. At Cocles, La Costa de Papito or Azania Bungalows. We always walked or bicycled everywhere during the day, but took taxis back at night.