We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

There is plenty to do in Cahuita

Which Cahuita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
There is plenty to do in Cahuita

Cahuita offers lots of experiences.

From Ecological, Adventure and Sustainable Tourism.

You can arrange a variety of tours and services with Willie's Tours and Transfers Services.

Bocas del Toro Islands in Panama and trips to Tortuguero National Park etc

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: There is plenty to do in Cahuita

I'm not really sure why Albert decided to post this... but OK whatever. If you are interested in the Cahuita area, take a look at www.puertoviejosatellite.com for more information.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: There is plenty to do in Cahuita

Maybe he did not have to much to do...or ...

roadadivsor

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: There is plenty to do in Cahuita

While we are on the subject, I'll tell you about the museum in Cahuita. A guy in his 60s named Sankey - a local guy - runs it. It is on a side street in a kind of run down looking place but it is so cool! I stumbled upon the place when I was in Cahuita a few weeks ago.

This guy has collected all kinds of cool stuff that illustrate the history of the area. He has a beautiful beaded dress worn by the Carnival Queen in Limon in the 1950s. He has an old record book from the railroad with photos of the Jamaicans when they came here to work in 1872. He's got all kinds of old rusty tools and some very cool old instruments. And every single item in the place will get him started on a new story. The guy's got character and he can talk! When he showed me his great grandmother's passport from Jamaica it sent chills up my spine!

This is a real "off the beaten path" kind of thing to do in Cahuita.

Edited: 06 March 2011, 18:52
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: There is plenty to do in Cahuita

Well, Bocas del Toro and Tortuguero are really not in Cahuita ... but info like Lisa is sharing with us is what a good travel forum is based on. Therefore, Albert2011, please be so kind and ask your friends at Willie's Tours to share with us some real Cahuita inside tips. Thank You.

Breaux Bridge...
Level Contributor
1 post
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: There is plenty to do in Cahuita

We spent two nights/48 hours in Cahuita in late March 2011 --- we would have stayed one more night but it turns out the 7:20 a.m. Interbus does not arrive at San Jose airport in time for the 1:10 Delta flight to Atlanta, so we left the previous afternoon --- and are still trying to decide what we think. On the minus side, the town combines the worst features of a rural backwater and a tourist trap: dusty and poorly- or un-paved roads, rows of identical-looking restaurants, and the usual Costa Rican prices which are quite high compared to everywhere else in the region. The Playa Negra, invariably described as a black volcanic sand beach, is more of a dark grey with traces of brown; it looks like dirt, although it does feel like sand. And our walks in town were punctuated on several occasions by involuntary discussions with apparently drug-addled men. On the other hand, we ate at three restaurants that were quite pleasant (Sobre Las Olas, Chao's Paradise, and Cocorico); we saw some interesting fish on our snorkeling tour with Roberto's Tours; our walk through the Cahuita National Park was peaceful and pleasant, and the white sand beach there is beautiful and swimmable. Most important, and most of all we met a number of very sweet people, including many of those who work in the tourist industry. (Raquel, Alba, and Ramon at Roberto's, Esteban at Cocorico, and Clara at the Wildlife Rescue Center were particularly nice.)

6. Re: There is plenty to do in Cahuita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 12:17