We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in costa rica

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
car rental in costa rica

Does anyone know the most economical way to get a car rental in Costa Rica? I have heard it mentioned that one shouldn't use a U.S. based website, but rather the Costa Rican site of the same company for better deals, but even that seems a bit expensive.

I am going to be in Costa Rica for a month and would like to find the best/cheapest option. Also, are the road conditions a factor? should I try to get an SUV or a vehicle with higher ground clearance to deal with poor roads, or is a car good enough?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in costa rica

Dear Monte...

Our roads are not that bad...of course some secondary roads are not in good shape...and a high clearence vehicle can be better...

Check Service car rental...some times they offer some good deals...I m not into recommending small car rentals but I read here good reviews about them all the time...

roadadisor

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in costa rica

Wildrider for longer term can be good too...

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in costa rica

Try contacting a few of the most reliable firms: Wild Rider,Service, Adobe, Vamos, Solid and see if they can offer a deal. If you are coming in low season, your chances are a lot better.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in costa rica

Where are you going to be?

If you're going to Monteverde for example you will definitely require 4x4, but if all you did was Jaco and Queops/MA for example then you wouldn't.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental in costa rica

Great, thanks. I'm gonna be in Playa Hermosa for the majority of the time, but first going to spend a week in Nicaragua. I understand however that rental cars cannot cross the border. Does anyone know if a car is needed to visit places like Granada, San Juan Del Sur, and surrounding areas? Or are the buses good enough?

Bx
Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental in costa rica

**CARS FOR RENT**

$135-$235 a week Everything included! Also SUVs available.

Call Andy or Aaron

(506) 2282-7013 Over 20yrs serving the English-speaking community.

This is an add from the Tico Times. The cheapest options are the guys that rent beat up cars for the week/month. Basically, the car you get is beat up and barely functional. If you can get the car back in one piece to the owner at the end of the time period you get your deposit back. If not they keep your cash deposit.

I rented an old Hyundai that the engine light was constantly lit, the window did not roll all the way up. Got it back at the end of the week, and got my cash back.

7. Re: car rental in costa rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:35
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental in costa rica

I was in Nicaragua 1.5 years ago and found the bus system excellent. There are a couple of different grades of busses of courses, the smaller collectivos and the chicken busses outside of the larger centres. I think whether or not you need a rental car depends how far off the beaten track you are going. If you are just staying in Granada and SJdS, a car might be more of a hassle than anything else. Again, it depends what type of tourist you are going to be.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental in costa rica

I've been to Nicaragua many times and never rented a car. Taxis and private drivers are inexpensive and I agree the bus system is excellent.

It's really up to your personal style. If it will make you crazy to be without your own car, by all means, rent one.

I would also ask this question in the Nicaragua forum which is probably more appropriate than here.

10. Re: car rental in costa rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 06:18