We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica and want to see both Pacific and Caribbean coasts.

From a few things that I've read, the Cahuita and Manzanillo Beach area just south of Limon are great areas when it comes to coral reefs and snorkeling/diving.

The only thing is I don't see a whole lot of travel companies selling trips to the Caribbean side. Is there a reason? Is it because it's too remote and difficult to get to or because it's not as safe of an area to be in?

Has anyone been to those areas with any advice?

Much appreciated!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

Is about a 6 hr. drive on good roads, you can get directions here,

yourtravelmap.com/costarica/…

just put in from La Fortuna-Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

I was just in Cahuita, you don't really need A/C. A ceiling fan will do the trick. The beds all have mosquito netting, but it is not necessary. There are few bugs!! Believe me, I know bugs living in Northern Ontario for a few years. I got a few bites from nosee'ems and other assorted insects, but you can sit outside at night and not be bothered. I was surprised. Maybe there are more bugs at other times of the year, but I was also given to understand that the weather is pretty much the same year round. The beaches are wonderful, and the water is warm!

nyc
9 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip for the end of May, beginning of June. We are looking leaning towards the Caribbean side. Any reccomendations?

Thanks!

Grants Pass Or.
Level Contributor
309 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

The last time we went to Puerto Viejo we stayed at La Costa de Papito, worth checking out!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

Cahuita your best bet due to the National park

www.albylodge.com my fav there

Carib side underdeveloped sort of a rustic backpacker rasta vibe

if you are not up for that head for Nicoya or do both

www.manuelantoniopark.com nice on the pacific side more touristed

www.issimosuites.com nice there...have fun,

nyc
9 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

Thanks everyone! It helps alot great deal!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

Just another short answer...IT IS GREAT!

roadadvisor

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
55 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

I'm afraid I have to disagree.

I went to the central highlands area and the Osa Peninsula about 3 years ago and absolutely loved it.

I just got back from a two week trip to the Caribbean side and have to say I wouldn't go back.

This is (of course) just my personal experience and is not meant to insult anyone who lives there or loves it.

I would preface this by saying that I'm a fairly well-traveled European who lives in the Pacific Northwest now. I consider myself to be a good traveler and try to be open to new experiences and food and to be respectful of the cultures I visit.

We visited Manzanillo, Punta Uva, Puerto Viejo and Cahuita, staying a few days in each. I found the locals to be really unfriendly (I would even go so far as to say borderline hostile, especially in Cahuita), the food extremely bland and very expensive for what you get, except in one or two wonderful cases and the villages pretty ugly and dirty, with piles of trash (very stinky because of the heat) along the roads and in yards, frequently being picked over by vultures and stray dogs.

I know that the central american attitude to animals is vastly different to my own but I don't remember seeing so many stray, sick and obviously starving dogs elsewhere in CR before. It was very upsetting to see sometimes and I was happy to learn later that there are several organizations working to help those animals.

I was also struck by the attitude of the ex-pats we met there, both Americans and Europeans who, without exception, all told us stories of the dangers of crime there (Welcome! Watch your backs!)

I now feel it was a mistake to visit that coast - that we would have had a much better time revisiting the Pacific perhaps.

I hope this helps someone else to have a better trip than we did.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

Sorry you had a bad experience on the Caribbean side, for many reasons, the infrastructure is neglected in this poor area of the county, most people find locals and expats friendly and helpful, and though not developed, there are some beautiful areas to see, the food is pretty eclectic and some have more flavor than others and some more expensive than others. Is funny, I always thought that Portland was a beautiful city too, until my daughter recently visited on a teachers convention and said she will never go back. Good luck on the Pacific side, lots of beautiful places there too, as for me I'll take Punta Uva anytime.

50. Re: How's the Caribbean side of Costa Rica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2010, 06:36