We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

Which Cahuita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

I have been reading all the posts and information on the Internet about how to get to Cahuita. My wife and I will be visiting Cahuita in January 2014 for seven days. We will be in Costa Rica for a month. We are most excited about visiting Cahuita. But, I need a little more help.... We arrive in San Jose on a 7 AM flight. We will be taking the public bus. I have read that taxis are readily available at the airport. I have read that the bus terminal to Cauita has moved. What directions should I give the taxi driver to get to the bus terminal that serves Cahuita? Also, we have purchased bus tickets in Spanish speaking countries before. We are from the US and unfortunately are not the best Spanish speaking people(an unfortunate part of being a US citizen in our fifties). So, a little help in ensuring we purchase the correct ticket would be appreciated. Also, when we arrive back in San Jose, what hotels are close to the bus terminal? We can take a taxi to the hotel, but want a hotel close to the terminal.

Thanks for any help! Cahuita seems to be a great place and we are looking forward to experiencing all it has to offer.

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

How much is the public bus from the terminal in San Jose to Cahuita? Also, how do you buy a ticket in advance?

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

I am going to take the shuttle myself. Note you need to get from sjo to holiday inn . I will be staying there anyway.You pick your drop off hotel. Think pickup around 720 am and arrival in Cahuita 11:50 am. Each transfer is booked on way. Think it comes back after 3 pm. Believe seat guaranteed as long as you book prior to the 72 hour before mark. I am going to d mine soon for late Jan

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

Bobbi - it's less than $10 for the public bus. You can't "book in advance." If you are staying in San Jose the night before you go to the Caribbean coast, you can go to the bus station and buy a ticket for the next day.

USA
Level Contributor
20 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

Is the bus station open 24 hours?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

The bus station is open as long as there are buses running. Probably not much after 11 or 12 pm. The bus station is shared by several bus companies - but - the company that has the bus to Cahuita/Puerto Viejo may close before the station closes -- after their last bus. Looks like 4 pm is the last bus. But to be sure, you would need to phone Transportes Mepe to find out what time they close.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

I will be arriving at 0130 on a Saturday in January and would like to head out to Cahuita later in the day on maybe the 1200 or 1400 trip. I am concerned that the buses will be full but i would rather not spend an extra day in San Jose. I have heard there is a service that will buy bus tickets and provide transport to the terminal for a hefty fee. Has anyone used this service?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

http://www.costaricabustickets.com/

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
125 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

I always recommend my family, friends, and guests use Gecko Trail Adventures for booking their transportation from SJO to Cahuita or Puerto Viejo. They have many options; for bus travelers, choose the taxi/bus combo. That way the taxi is waiting for you when you clear customs and baggage claim. He will be sure you get to the correct terminal. Even though it's been 2 years or more, i've still heard taxi drivers insist they know and take people to the wrong (Coca Cola) terminal. I've also heard of people paying as much as $50 for taxis, a legitimate fee is $30, $35 if you have excess luggage or big stuff.

Gecko Trails also offer a couple of shared shuttle options, with an 8 AM that works well for those arriving on red-eye flights, and another one that leaves right from the terminal at 3:30. These can actually be cost effective if you consider a $30 taxi to the $11 bus, and if you're staying in Cocles, Playa Chiquita, Punta Uva, or Manzanillo, another $5, $8, $10, or $12 taxi fee at the end of your trip.

I am also a HUGE fan of hiring the local drivers from Puerto Viejo (Junior Palmer, Rigoberto, Tony) for private transportation--all guys who were born and raised and had generations of family farming, fishing and building the towns of the Caribe Sur. These guys all speak English and Spanish and provide a great introduction to the villages before you even arrive at your hotel, cabina, or vacation home. They charge from $180 to $220 for a private shuttle, will pick you up anytime you want, drop you off wherever you want, and it's comfy to spread out and have a window to yourself for all the sightseeing on the way over.

Lowell, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

What site do you use to book these bus tickets in advance

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Public bus from San Jose to Cahuita

I just booked with gecko trail. It was $32pp for a taxi ride from the airport to the bus station and the bus tickets. My flight arrives at night so I'm staying at the Courtyard Marriott and they will pick me up there. Communication through email was easy.