We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

Which Cahuita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malabo, Equatorial...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

Hi,

if travelling to Cahuita on a Saturday morning with hire car does it make more sense to spend the night in San Jose or Alajeula.. just looking at a small map and cant really see where the road is.

Thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

It doesn't really matter where you stay - although it may depend on the time of day you arrive. If after dark, stay in Alajuela. You can taxi to your lodging and arrange to have your hire car delivered the next morning.

Wherever you stay, try to avoid the "rush hour" traffic in the early morning.

This might help: www.yourtravelmap.com for distances and travel times as well as directions. You can input Alajuela to Chuita and San Jose to Cahuita and see the differences.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 16:32
Malabo, Equatorial...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

Thanks ..yes we arrive around 2:45, but I just thought maybe it would be easier take a taxi to a hotel near the road out of SJ centre in the direction we need to go, and get the hire car dropped off there so we could avoid driving through the city center..not a big city driver fan..

The other thought was that maybe there was a way from Alajuela which would avoid going through the city.. but guess we will just go with it and enjoy... and then stop for a coffee and cake when we have made it :)

What time is rush hour traffic on a Saturday?.

Thanks

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

Not a big rush hour on Saturday - but figure 6 am to 8:30 or so.

Malabo, Equatorial...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

Thanks... earlier than I was thinking....but good as we are planning an 8;30 start.

Are there any places on the way for a stop or two, scenic stops or snack stops?

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

Getting through San Jose can be tricky as it is badly signposted and one way streets seem to take you around on a city tour, rather than help you find Route 32. Customers of mine has been lost for up to two hours just trying to get out of the city, so I would suggest asking the rental company to program your GPS so that it is easy to find your way and if all still goes wrong, pay a taxi to lead you out onto the road.

The whole drive through the mountains is spectacular with roadside waterfalls and amazing views of forest covered mountains as far as the eye can see. Do have restroom stops etc before leaving as the first hour or so through the national park has no restaurants to stop at. Once down the hill, there is a restaurant on your right with a kids' playground outside and huge fishtanks inside that is clean and the food is great with a very varied menu.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

Hi weedycdragon

I just thought I might provide you with another option that you may like to consider.

If I were you I would get the logistical stiff out of the way on the Friday and start enjoying your vacation well rested the Saturday morning. I would accomplish this by getting through San Jose right away. Yes there will be traffic but as others have suggested you could get to a hotel by taxi and have your car delivered to your hotel the next morning.

So take a cab to the Hyatt Place in Curridabad which is on the Cartago side of San Jose, right off the Pan American Highway. Yes it is what some would call a “Cookie Cutter” hotel but it is a really yummy soft chocolate chip cookie – just read the reviews tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g1887338-d353323…

Check in and go for a swim and then go out for a nice dinner. There are many restaurants right on the property ranging from fast food to fine dining but for something really cool and unique, drive to Taller del Artisda in Tres Rios https:/…107879432586956 – an easy ten minute drive. Drive back to your hotel and get an early night’s sleep.

The next morning when your car arrives, drive through Cartago on route 10 to Siquirres where it meets route 32. While this is a beautiful and very easy drive it also provides you wilt some amazing stuff along the way. Why not visit Vulcan Irazu first thing in the morning (best time to go) or, check out the Bastilica de Nuestra Señora de Los Ángeles, the Ruins and Central Park in Cartago proper. Another option would be Lancaster Gardens of do a loop through the Orosi Valley on Route 224.

The best part of this is that you will arrive at the Carribe Sur well before dark, feeling wonderful rather than being all stressed out from the horrible drive through San Jose and route 32.

Just a thought….

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

Great idea, canatico! "Get it over with" as quickly as possible and then relax.

Malabo, Equatorial...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

Thanks... yes I really like that idea of getting it over with straight away.. sounds like a great plan and some great ideas for the next day too... Thank you

Malabo, Equatorial...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

Can you give me an idea of price of taxi to Hyatt place in Curridabad.. or is there an airport bus which could take us there?

10. Re: airport area or san Jose for drive to Cahuita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:16