We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica Itinerary 8 night, 9 day trip

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica Itinerary 8 night, 9 day trip

My husband and I are heading back to Costa Rica this summer after visiting Tamarindo in 2007. We loved Tamarindo, but would like to explore a different region of CR this trip. We will be flying into San Jose and renting a car. We like a good balance of adventure and relaxation. Here is a rough draft of our itinerary:

Drive to San Gerardo de Rivas (Chirripo area) and stay in Monte Azul for 2 nights.

Drive to Dominical and stay for 1 night ( maybe in Villa Rio Mar or Kiana Resort?)

Drive to Manuel Antonio and stay for 3 nights.

Drive to Arenal and stay for 2 nights.

Drive back to San Jose to catch flight.

My questions:

1. Is San Gerardo de Rivas worth seeing? It seemed like it was off the beaten path which is appealing to us and Monte Azul looks like a wonderful hotel and got great reviews, but we don't want to be bored if there's not enough to do there.

2. Should we stay in Dominical or is it more of a day trip?

3. What are the driving times to each leg of the trip?

4. Should we reserve a rental car prior to landing in San Jose and if so, what is a reasonable rate for a week? Also, which website do I visit to rent a car?

5. Is this too ambitious of an itinerary for 9 days? We do want some down time to relax but want to see as much as we can while we're down there.

6. Should we reverse the order of the trip?

Thanks so much!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,145 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary 8 night, 9 day trip

1. Yes I think it is worth visiting. Off the tourist routes.

2. Dominical is an easy day trip with the rental car. No need to stay

3.Get some ideas of times and routes here - yourtravelmap.com/costarica/…

4.Yes reserve a car, many good companies, I like ADOBE. Get the optional GPS

5.Not too ambitious, if you skip staying in Dominical you are looking at 3 locations, nice trip

6. Many people like to do the volcano first and beach last to relax. It can be a bit nippy at night at the volcano due to elevation as well. All up to the traveller

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,716 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary 8 night, 9 day trip

Good itinerary...I love hills and small valleys out of middle of nowhere...getting close to Chirripo that is exactly the feeling I get!

Maybe drive to Manuel Antonio and not staying that extra night in Dominical.!

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary 8 night, 9 day trip

Thanks so much for the valuable info! We'll definitely just drive through Dominical and not spend the night there. I'll start looking into rental cars.

4. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary 8 night, 9 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Chirripo National Park
More Chirripo National Park Topics
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor