My husband and I are heading back to Costa Rica this summer after visiting Tamarindo in 2007. We loved Tamarindo, but would like to explore a different region of CR this trip. We will be flying into San Jose and renting a car. We like a good balance of adventure and relaxation. Here is a rough draft of our itinerary:
Drive to San Gerardo de Rivas (Chirripo area) and stay in Monte Azul for 2 nights.
Drive to Dominical and stay for 1 night ( maybe in Villa Rio Mar or Kiana Resort?)
Drive to Manuel Antonio and stay for 3 nights.
Drive to Arenal and stay for 2 nights.
Drive back to San Jose to catch flight.
1. Is San Gerardo de Rivas worth seeing? It seemed like it was off the beaten path which is appealing to us and Monte Azul looks like a wonderful hotel and got great reviews, but we don't want to be bored if there's not enough to do there.
2. Should we stay in Dominical or is it more of a day trip?
3. What are the driving times to each leg of the trip?
4. Should we reserve a rental car prior to landing in San Jose and if so, what is a reasonable rate for a week? Also, which website do I visit to rent a car?
5. Is this too ambitious of an itinerary for 9 days? We do want some down time to relax but want to see as much as we can while we're down there.
6. Should we reverse the order of the trip?
Thanks so much!