We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel, Bungalow or house close to Rocking J's

Washington
4 posts
Save Topic
Best Hotel, Bungalow or house close to Rocking J's

We're coming down to Puerto Viejo in May for a gathering that will likely be centered around Rockin J's, but we do not want to stay there. We are interested in more deluxe accomadations but within a reasonable walk of Rockin J's, such as a nice hotel, Bungalow or house, preferably close to a nice beach. . I am not quite sure where Rockin J's is located in Puerto Viejo (closer to Black Beach or Cocles?) . Any recommendations?

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel, Bungalow or house close to Rocking J's

Agapi Apartments is almost next door. They are beach front and well run. www.AgapiSite.com

If you wanted more deluxe with AC etc, then I would suggest Jordans Jacuzzi Suites. http://www.thelotusgarden.net/hotel.htm

You can see where Rockin J's is on the map here;

http://www.puertoviejosatellite.com/

Hope that helps. Cheers, Colin

Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel, Bungalow or house close to Rocking J's

Thanks for the link to the satellite map. That is EXTREMELY helpful. So what can you tell me about the 2 houses (marked W and Z) on the map that look fairly close to Rockin J's, one of which appears to be directly owned or managed by you? Are they already spoken for during May 5-12th? It would probably be for 1 or 2 couples.

Also, so would I be wrong in saying that the more deluxe resorts (i.e. with pool, resturaunt) places are Azania, La Costa de Papito and Cariblue, which are a little further down south, and that they are not quite walking distance? The more I look at this the more I think I would be renting a car anyway, so perhaps being walking distance to Rockin J's isn't as important.

so cal
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel, Bungalow or house close to Rocking J's

we always stay at costa de papito, eddie, the owner ,and his staff always make you feel at home. across the street from playa cocles beach, about 15 minute walk to j's. if you have a car colinsito has some good homes to choose from.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel, Bungalow or house close to Rocking J's

Mike, I'm not sure if it'll suit what you're looking for, but check out Colin's sweet little rental house at www.puertoviejobeachhouse.com. It's on the sat map, Playa Negra down the beach from town.

For what it's worth, no, Colin didn't put me up to this. He's really good about not self-promoting, but I can't see any reason why his place shouldn't be thrown into the mix for consideration.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel, Bungalow or house close to Rocking J's

I appreciate that Mr Josh... I am careful about not self promoting. But please note... Our beach house is quaint, but not luxury. It is more of a beach cottage.

Thankfully I don't have to self promote. The way I see it... Is that everyone is lookin for something different. We can not be all things to all people. There are many good places to stay here (and some not so good). Our mission is people get the holiday they deserve and the happier they are, the better it works for all of us.

Now.. off to Mike's questions. The websites on Satelitte map are very explanatory about those houses. Carriage House is really nice and almost across the street from Rockin J's .

If these inquiries are for music festival, in May, they might qualify for a 10% discount. Check with organizers.

All those other places in Cocles are nice. You really do not need a car. Most people do it with bikes and Taxi's. Car always works out to about $300 week minmum. At an average cost of $5 taxi rides, that 60 taxi rides. Not quite as convenient, but sometimes more interesting. (my recent clients help put bumper on roof as it fell off on the way to our place)

Please note as per North American standards, there are really no luxury places. Higher end places tend to be located in Punta Uva.

Hope that helps. Cheers, Colin.

Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel, Bungalow or house close to Rocking J's

wow your responses are so incredibly helpful. I can't wait to come down and meet you and spend a week or two in the PV area! Yes, we are coming down for the music event. I would be hesitant to actually call it a music festival, but suffice it to say there are some incredibly talented musicians headed your way!

Yes, the beach house looks really nice. Would you say that it will sleep three couples comfortably?

Desert Southwest USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel, Bungalow or house close to Rocking J's

mike,

I just got back from PV. I stayed in PV for a couple of days, then stayed at Azania for a few more. Rocking Js, as you've seen is in the middle, actually closer to PV. That you'll be with other couples will make a taxi more interesting, maybe more of a caravan or taxis if you all travel at once. The 2 miles from PV to Azania cost me $3-4 taxi fare depending on the mood of the driver but I was willing to pay it after I realizedwhat a thrilling adventure it was. The potholes are the size of ohio and twice as deep. The road is about wide enough for 1 small car and a stroller. So, you get 2 taxis going in opposite directions, swerving to miss the potholes and going quickly to get you there right away, people on bicycles, people walking in both directions.... well it's more than 3 bucks worth of excitement. And I was personally quite pleased to NOT have the stress of a rental car EVERY time I watched the taxi swerve around some tourist in a rental. I never called a taxi though!!! ALWAYS have a bartender or shop owner call one for you!!!! I never had to wait more than a couple of minute for one to arrive. And you have to ask for a taxi. They seem to have no clue what a "cab" is.

8. Re: Best Hotel, Bungalow or house close to Rocking J's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...