We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Kasha and the ocean

BELMONT
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Kasha and the ocean

HI,

I've been reading some of the reviews and posts about Hotel Kasha. How close is the ocean, really? I've read that it's a ten minute walk, a 2-3 minute walk, a long walk, there aren't any beaches ( I know this one's not right)....

I'm not looking for a particular beach, but just if I want to walk down to the ocean, how far is it?

And can you hear the ocean from the hotel?

Thanks a bunch.

Vandy

PS. If you'd recommend a different hotel on that coast, please do.

st. louis
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Kasha and the ocean

By almost any standard, Hotel Kasha is a dump. We rented a large bungalow and were led to believe it was air conditioned. It was not. The room was old, battered and dirty, with furnishings to match. Pillows did not have pillow cases, both of our small, thin towels and the sheets were disgustingly stained. Nails protruded from what passed as a bathroom vanity, plumbing barely worked, there was no hot water and the ceiling fan barely functioned. We'd booked for five nights and fled after two -- when even the trickling water supplies vanished. Pictures the hotel shows must be at least 30 years old. That beautiful swimming pool? The water is murky and UNFILTERED and the pool furniture is so old it's finish is crackling. Like almost all Puerto Viejo places, Kasha is NOT on the beach. That's across the roadway, and one must walk through 100 to 200 yards of forest to get there, which means, of course, that there are NO ocean breezes. Of course, the hotel would not tell us the path's location (a lot of these paths are difficult to find ... they are NOT marked) because rip tides make that beach unsafe. Rather, they will direct you to a path maybe a mile southward, where there's no parking; you must walk. Kasha's restaurant has fairly good food ... desperately overpriced, and they forget little things like napkins. The Shawandha hotel directly across from the beach path is a lovely Tahitian style place where everything is more than "done right" -- it's done with artistry and flare and in excellent taste, including a wonderful restaurant. The bungalows there don't have AC, either, but the excellent design keeps the place comfortable and the somewhat higher prices ... well, it's more than worth it. The Playa Chiquita Lodge across from Shawandha -- yes, it's on the beach side -- was highly recommended by an American expat as being equally nice at half the price but we didn't have time to check it out. Aguas Claras beach cottages also are on the ocean side of the road; we couldn't check interiors but bungalows are lovely looking Victorian-style places and the surrounding gardens are promising. One more thing, Vandy: We would NOT go back to Costa Rica's Caribbean side. Getting there's a real challenge (we drove) and the beaches can't begin to compare with Jamaica or the Bahamas. Arenal and the Monteverde Cloud Forest are infinitely more rewarding destinations!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Kasha and the ocean

We were not impressed with the restaurant at Hotel Kasha but did not see the rooms. I disagree with the previous poster however, about the beaches. We stayed down at Punta Uva at Casa Viva which has houses hidden from the beach by a narrow line of coconut palms. The beach was gorgeous and frequently deserted. The only beach I enjoyed as much was at Frenchman's Cove on the east side of Jamaica where tourists seldom find their way. If you want lots of venders, jet skis and action you will be disppointed at Punta Cocles or Punta Uva, both south of Puerto Viejo, but if you want to swim, bodysurf or walk miles of empty beaches, it's just great.

The favorite choice on this site seems to be Azania Bungalows, although Shawndha Lodge and Aguas Claras also get good reviews. Azania has a pool if that's important. Next trip I'm returning to the house we rented at Casa Viva.

st. louis
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Kasha and the ocean

Dear CRFAN: I repeat the point -- if someone wants a great Caribbean experience, Puerto Viejo area's beaches do not compare in cleanliness, beauty, clarity and, even more so, life. They don't have that sugar sand (nothing even remotely close ... indeed, some of that CR beach sand is downright ugly), the always azure sky, water so clear you could almost read a magazine held with your toes in nose-deep surf (well, almost!). Seashells and astounding creatures in profusion, whole worlds-eco systems to explore within a hole in a rock or the cup of a flower. World after world after world. At some Jamaican beaches, fantastic coral and all its spectacular life are within wading-walking-swimming-floating distance from shore. And, yes, you can have it all to yourself. Puerto Viejo's beaches are, you know, comparatively dead. And note how Puerto Viejo's kids all want that "Rasta vibe" (and don't have a clue to what that is). There's only one place for that. And you can get almost as good in the Bahama's, the little islands especially, and parts of Florida and ... it's a really extensive list. And the accommodations are almost always ON the beach with those wonderful cooling breezes -- not to mention the quality of the lodgings, the architecture, the AC that's usually available. But none of those other places have a Monteverde or Santa Elena Cloud Forest or an Arenal Volcano or all the other places that make Costa Rica unique. There's so much to learn in Costa Rica. Did you note the schools, the kids' appearances, demeanor and conduct and how people treat them and one another? It's a special place. Its Caribbean beaches aren't.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Kasha and the ocean

Puerto Viejo and Caribbean side is definitely not for everyone. But that's part of what makes it special.

BELMONT
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Kasha and the ocean

Thanks, everybody for your comments. I'm still in the process of deciding where to stay, and your posts help. Some of the houses on the beach look nice, but I'm not looking for a housekeeping trip this time. (Been there, done that, ,many times. I want someone to cook for ME this time! )

And no, a pool isn't important.

How hard is it to get from Casa Viva, for instance, to restaurants, without a car? We're not planning on renting one.

Thanks,

Vandy

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Kasha and the ocean

The problem with staying farther south of Puerto Viejo (Punta Uva for example) is that it's trickier without a car. For instance Selwyn's is a great restaurant with wonderful seafood and cheap prices, and only 5 minutes walk away, but there was only 1 other restaurant within walking distance. The restaurants in Punta Cocles or Maxi's in Manzanillo were a good ways away. Many visitors rent bicycles or mopeds which are great for getting around during the day but neither appeals to me as a means of tranportation after dark since there are few streetlights and a number of one lane bridges. You could call cabs, for transportation after dark, but we didn't try thta method as we had a car. You might want to stay in Punta Cocles (Azania Bungalows or Costa de Papito) where there are more choices of restaurants, or in Puerto Viejo itself which has a lot of places to eat. Good luck!

7. Re: Hotel Kasha and the ocean

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...