We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

I want to stay within a 5 to 10 minute walk to Punta Uva, and we will probably end up renting a vehicle while there. I'm trying to narrow down my choices.

My needs are:

ceiling fan above queen or king bed;

screens on windows in bedroom;

outside sitting area (preferably with ceiling fans also - but not necessary);

good chance for wildlife sighting on the grounds.

The house at Pachamama seems to fit the bill, at a great price and great reviews. I've had great email interactions with the owners. Maybe I should just stop being so obsessive and settle on it! But, of course I want to check out all my options - it's in my nature - I can't help it.

I've also found several rental houses in the area that also seem to have all or most of the elements. Specifically, I'm looking at Villa Toucan, Casa Virginie and a newish place called Robinson Beach Bungalow (I think owned by the same people as Villa Toucan).

Does anyone have any opinions about these rentals? In addition to the great price, what I like most about Pachamama are the grounds (at least from photos) and its proximity to the beach. It just seems like it's really immersed in the jungle (though it's pretty close to the road).

Villa Toucan looks pretty amazing also - but it's a bit further away, up a hill. Though I'm sure this ensures nicer breezes, better views and more wildlife. I'm just concerned we won't really be able to walk to the beach - though we do like to walk a lot, so maybe it's doable.

The Robinson Beach Bungalow is the closest to the beach, but I wonder about the grounds surrounding it? If you're closer to the beach do you tend to see less wildlife?

Any ideas or opinions are welcome! Thank you...

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

My husband and I are leaving this week to go to Costa Rica and we will be staying several days at Pachamama the following week. I have also sent messages to someone who has stayed there and they raved about it. Send me a personal message if you still haven't made up your mind in a few weeks and I will let you know how Pachamama is.

Staci

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

You can stop obsessing about it. Pachamama has everything you're looking for and there's plenty of wildlife all around down there, especially howler monkeys. You'll be right where you want to be, close enough to the beach to hop on down there when you feel like it but just back enough where the sand flies won't bother you at night. Bill and Cathy are wonderful people and will take care of your every need.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

Yes, if you are closer to the beach you see less wildlife and certainly cant hear the wildlife like you can on the jungle side. I have not stayed at Pachamama nor Villa Toucan but have been too both. Toucan is up a very very steep hill and has views that our stunning, it is very quiet and out of this world. Pachamama will be much more convenient to everything including the beach and is quite nice also. You picked two great places for different reasons so it just depends on what you really want. IF you dont mind not being close to the beach I would vote for Toucan as there is nothing quite like those views and the solitude up there.

Whenever I am in Puerto Viejo I like to stay at places on the jungle side and take trips to the beaches, as there is nothing like the sights and sounds of the jungle.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

Thanks everyone! This is all great info. Yeah, we just got back from our first trip to CR and stayed in Manuel Antonio. What I didn't like about it was all the seemingly reckless development, but what I loved about it was all the wildlife sightings. As you say, I don't need to be ON the beach to get to it, so the info on the somewhat lack of beachside wildlife is helpful to know - thank you!

Not having the greatest email interactions with the owners of Villa Toucan - I'm sensing they don't want to be bothered or something, but maybe it's a cultural thing, so I don't want to be quick to judgement (I think they're French Canadian, so maybe there's a reserved manner I'm not used to?).

Anyway, I'll keep my reservations at Pachamama at this point and see what else comes up - we have a LONG time...

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

Hi - I re-read my last posting, and I just want to set the record straight - in case it came out badly! I certainly wasn't trying to bad-talk the owners of Villa Toucan (and I definitely wasn't trying to make any generalizations about French Canadians!). I was just wondering if maybe that could explain the communication style.

It looks like a beautiful property, and I'm sure it's wonderful. They have plenty of great testimonials on their website, so I don't doubt it.

I just meant to say that they haven't seemed super eager to help me decide if Villa Toucan is the right choice for me. I'm know I must be plenty annoying with all my questions - but I only get to go on vacation once a year, and I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. I just haven't gotten the answers to specific questions like I have with the owners of Pachamama. In their defense, Villa Toucan isn't really advertised as a guest house - more of a self-catering rental - so maybe that's the difference.

No offense meant... Thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

Please note, if you were to stay at Villa Toucan you would be living very close to the owners, they have their house right next door. I believe they have two young kids, so they might be very busy right now. As Hatch said, dont worry....Pachamama is going to be just fine. Stay there since they responded, I dont think you will have any regrets. Hope you have a great vacation!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

Thanks. Actually, the folks who own Villa Toucan finally did respond enthusiastically and in greater detail - as you say, I'm sure they've been busy. They seem like great people too and are more than happy to accommodate us.

The thing is I want to try all of the great places down there (Pachamama, Villa Toucan, Casa Viva - and Banana Azul)! But, I'm not one for moving around - I like to get settled down for a stay.

It's nice to see there are so many REAL people in that area - instead of a lot of anonymous hotels... It makes it difficult to decide on one place - but these are good problems!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

I haven't stayed at Pachamama but did hang out with the owners (re very nice) for an afternoon. The property is right across the street from Punta Uva. There is a creek runs through the property and they have kayaks available for guests

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

It took me quite a while to figure out that most hotel and guest house owners are not tied to their email inbox or obsessed about it like I was.

I needed to remember, that even the ones that offer email contact are often on dial up or answer emails at internet cafe.

Who would have ever imagined??

Punta Uva
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Pachamama vs. rental house - any advice re: Punta Uva?

Hello everybody, I am Emmanuelle the owner of Villa Toucan. I am French, very French BTW. I ma surprised by Plumboy comment as I usually answer request right away with a lot of details. My house is located on the other hill of the property, there is complete privacy, no vis a vis.It is a real bird watching place, and wild life is abondant: 3 kind of monkeys, pizote, sloths and much more if you are lucky.

We have 2 kids, a 9 years old whose job is to travel our clients [bare foot...for her] to the path into the rain forest and a 2 year old who doesn't cry at night.

I know Bill and Carol from Pachamama and their house for rent is very nice and it is walking distance from Punta Uva, not like villa toucan where you have to take your car for the way back up.

A suggestion, you can do half/half.