We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around

Hi there,

We are going to CR next week & we will be staying in Puerto Viejo for few days (cannot wait!!). I was wondering if anyone can give me some idea how easy it is to hire motor scooters and how much they cost?

Many thanks.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around

It's easy and it's not peak season so you'll have no problems. They're $60 per day.

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around

Wow! Did not expect them to be quite so expensive - I normally go on holiday to Asia where they cost about USD 6 per day! I think bicycles will have to do this time!!!!!

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around

Lol, yeah, they're not cheap. Actually they're $54 at one place. They can rent them out at that rate all day long though. And, in their defense do have a LOT of maintenance on them here due to the potholes and the fact that things rust quickly here from the moisture and salt in the air. (I know, I have a rusting scooter myself sitting in my driveway waiting for my mechanic friend to drop a used shock absorber off for me today!).

Bikes are only about $5 per day. Sorry, didn't mean to put you into shock Bambulka! ;^) ¡Buen viaje! -Hatch

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around

Bambulka, another option is to use the local public buses for your long trips to Manzanillo and Cahuita.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around

I know... isn't the price unreal? Even with conditions of roads etc, It is hard to imagine they are the same price as a car. My scooter which is a good one cost me $2500.

A rental car costs at least $20,000 down here. So how just is it they justify the same price. At $50 / day, that means in 50 rentals, I have paid off my investment.

$50 a day buys you lots of taxis.

6. Re: Getting around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...