We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing in September

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
35 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing in September

Everything I've read about PV makes me think it's a perfect destination for me and my husband, but...I've promised the man surfing. He's an East Coast (U.S.) longboard surfer with intermediate skills who prefers a long, mellow ride. He'll happily spend the afternoon on a consistent "beginner" wave if that's all there is.

Is it likely that there will be somewhere for him to surf in the area regardless of swells/weather? Any good places to stay for access? Cocles seems like it might be the place, but the idea of staying more off the beaten track in the forest is tempting. I assume it will still be possible to get to the surf beaches by taxi/foot/bike?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing in September

Sept & Oct are 2 of the calmest months for the ocean. I would look at some surf sites like www.CRsurf.com and see what they suggest.

And yes, Cocles would be ideal if you want to be closer to surf action.

Cheers, Colin.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing in September

Although September is consider a non surfing month in the Caribe, is not as flat as June-July, we took a trip a few years back in September and had a nice 2-3 foot swell for most of the week. Like Colin said, Cocles is your best choise, nice beach break, with good longboard conditions when wave are not out of control. Check into Costa de Papito bungalows sounds like is what you are looking for for lodging.

3. Re: Surfing in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 23:19