We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time to PV from Alajuela via Cartago/Turrialba

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time to PV from Alajuela via Cartago/Turrialba

I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I'm feeling a bit too lazy to search for it. I'm sorry1

Can someone give me some idea of how long it would take to drive from Alajuela to PV via Cartago/Turrialba? Thinking of doing a two day trip out of it with a car rental.

So, how long from Alajuela to Turrialba, and then how long Turrialba to PV?

(And, travelicious, yes I am rethinking some things, again! Just thinking though. We'll talk...)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,795 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time to PV from Alajuela via Cartago/Turrialba

Alajuela to Turrialba...about 3 and half hours...considering the traffic in San Jose...

Turrialba to Siquirres about 1 hour and thirty minutes and about 3 hours to Puerto Viejo...total 4 and half hours...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time to PV from Alajuela via Cartago/Turrialba

Oy, so it is really significantly longer. Thanks ra!

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time to PV from Alajuela via Cartago/Turrialba

Glad to here you will hopefully soon be returning to these shores!

You may find this travel planner handy:

www.yourtravelmap.com/costarica/travelmap

Have a great trip, we miss you in Brasilto!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time to PV from Alajuela via Cartago/Turrialba

Thanks, S. Wish we could make it to Brasilito too -- but I think we're going to try to get over to the other coast FINALLY! (But this isn't till next June, so a long way off.) Just a few days ago, we were talking about Soda Brasilito, Hotel Conchal, etc. -- reminiscing and dreaming... I wish it wasn't so darn expensive to fly to Liberia -- but I have my travel alerts all set, so you never know...

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time to PV from Alajuela via Cartago/Turrialba

It took us on a day with little traffic (Sunday) around 5 to 5,5 hours. 2 hours from San Jose to Turrialba, then an hour to Siquierres and then 2 hours to Puerto Viejo. But we left from Barrio Califorina which is close to San Pedro and the road to Cartago. So considering you leave from Alajuela, I would probably calculate an other 30 to 45 min, depending on traffic.

However, no matter if it does take longer than the other route, it is definitely worth travelling that route. It is very scenic. If you have enough time, I would drive through the Orosi Valley, along the lake and then pass La Suiza before you head for Turrialba. I loved that area (did it on an other drive, took around 7 hours from PV to San Jose, incl. break).

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time to PV from Alajuela via Cartago/Turrialba

Ditto to Gecko's suggestion. We ended up spending about 7 hours (with lots of picture, food and beverage, and "yes I'm a tourist " goofygawk stops) doing it from the opposite direction, but it is a beautiful drive. We got seriously lost in San Jose at the end and when the frustration was about to explode from the other seat (that lady who's been traveling with me for 35 years) the Car Rental place came up on the left.....buena suerte.

joe

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time to PV from Alajuela via Cartago/Turrialba

I forgot to thank the last couple of replies -- the added information and experience is helpful. Trying to piece together our next CR journey... Thank you!

8. Re: Driving time to PV from Alajuela via Cartago/Turrialba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...