We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Uva

West Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
Punta Uva

I would like suggestions for cabinas in the Punta Uva area on a weekly rental basis. Finally taking a honeymoon after 4 years.

Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Uva

For a honeymoon I would suggest the "Costa Rica Tree House". The website is "costaricatreehouse" and my favorite of their properties is the "beach suite". The sign saying welcome to Punta Uva is at the end of their driveway. The owners are a married couple from Holland and Ireland. The owner created the homes and helped build them himself. My husband and I just returned from Christmas break there (we stayed one week) and it was definitely a 2nd honeymoon. Check it out!!!!

West Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Uva

Thanks Moving_Someday!! This will be our 1st trip to CR, middle of March. We have so amny questions about planning. Is it better to rent a car, or take the Grayline and just walk, bicycle or taxi back and forth to Puerto Viejo or Manzinillo? Are the different guidebooks helpful ? Driven to Mexico several times but never this close to the little lattitudes!

Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Uva

We just got back from Punta Uva. Depending on what you like either renting a bicycle or moped are great options. By moped Manzanillo is about a 20 min ride, 1.5hrs by bike (we did both). From Punta Uva to the town of Puerto Viejo it is a 15min moped ride and 1hr or so by bicycle. Cabs are cheap but very limited in the evening and can be a little unreliable. Walking in the evening is not recommended as there are limited lights on the road. We stayed at hotel Kasha and had a great time (although not directly on the beach). We went to view almost all the larger named bungalows and accomodations. Out of everyplace we visited we found the owners of the Treehouse the only ones who were rude to us. We're going back in a couple months and have friends going as well so we wanted to see the location for ourselves (as sometimes what you read online isn't what you get). There was a large dirty bus on the property when you entered and when we saw the owner we asked if we could get a quick tour of the beach it sits on ect....(99% of hotel owners were fine) but the owners of tree house were so rude it was odd and didn't even offer a time we could come back or a reason behind their behavior.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Uva

Gilemma - Can you tell me how much it costs to rent a moped or bike, and where we could do that? We will be in Punta Uva in February and would like to explore a bit.

Anyone other tips or ideas about activities or places we should see in that area are most welcome!

Gracias

Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Uva

Hi Bassets2!

We rented our Moped from a place about 2 blocks from the bus terminal drop off. They are on the corner dragon rentals and have the best bikes. We rented a big one for two people for $50/day and make sure you negotiate gas included as it's very expensive there. You can get cheaper prices if you rent multiple days. You can also get cheaper bikes elsewhere but you get what you pay for. Bicycles are about $6/day and can be found anywhere. You'll pay more money if you want the bikes/mopeds dropped off at your accomodation.

Our favorite restaurant is La Pecora Nera, it's Italian and amazing. The location is beautiful and the quality of food unbelievable. You'll love that place if you are looking for a really romantic night. The owner is De Ilario and he is the head chef also and we had our New Year's dinner there and were absolutely blown away. Although it's not cheap, it is as I said, for a special night. For a more casual dinner in Puerto Viejo was El Paqacito (not sure if that is the right spelling). It's right on the corner in town and great to people watch and food was really good. Never expect to be served quickly as everyone is very very relaxed and in no hurry for anything. For real authentic food we ate at Helena's which is a two storey place close to the village. There are two Helena's so look for the nicer two storey one.

Our favorite tour was found at a tour agency next to Cafe Viejo on the main road. It's a small hidden tour company and the people there were great. It was a four wheeler 1/2 day tour where you drive to the jungles take a wonderful ride through it and end up seeing the most incredible animals and views ever. We then hiked to a great waterfall and swam in it and through it. On the way home, they take you to the BriBri tribes village and a tour of the medicinal gardens and eat fresh fruit. It was $90 for two people and well worth it. We toured the dolphins by boat in Manzanillo and it wasn't that impressive. We also did the canopy jumps and that was so-so. I met lots of people who rafted and heard that was excellent too.

We took the mepe from San Jose for about $12/pp to Puerto Viejo. The bus terminal is about 20 min from the airport. The ride isn't Luxurious but we found that it was fine as 50% were tourists and the scenery was outstanding.

Once you get to the Puerto Viejo bus terminal there are cabs waiting at the corner store. Get the price the minute you sit in the cab so there is not any confusion later.

You'll save money if you have your funds in Colones.

The best cup of coffee we tasted was at Miss MOlly's on the way to Punta Uva, a cute little place. I couldn't believe how great it was there.

Punta Uva was definately our favorite beach. Very private and lots of beach! We just got back a couple days ago and had such fun.

We were really surprised how many waves were at each beach. We actually didn't find any beach that was "calm". But that was fun!

The tour book we bought was Frommer's new costa rica book. It seemed everyone had it. I don't know if you need to buy it rather than go to the library and jot down some info on Puerto Viejo.

The only tip we would share is to never leave yourself at night wandering without a ride back to Punta Uva from the town of Puerto Viejo. You can hitchhike in the daytime or take the local bus for $1 (runs 3times a day). Because there are only a couple cabs they are pretty good about pre arranged pick ups. The roads on the way back are dark and not well lit and since there are really no police in town, don't look for trouble by walking in the dark.

Feel free to ask any questions, we're happy to help!

PS> Don't forget bug spray for the nightime.

MAGILLES

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Uva

I just want to clarify one thing - there is actually a police station in Puerto Viejo - by a bar that I think was called Mike's Playground. We were two adult women who walked from Cocles into Puerto Viejo after dark. Most of the road has lights, but you will hit some dark unlit spots, so bring a flashlight. But we passed loads of people, children, etc. on bikes, cars, etc. You could also rent bikes and ride them into town.

We stayed out late - til 1:00 a.m., 3:00 a.m. one night, and had no problem finding cabs back. Just go to the popular bars playing live music -and there the cabs sit. Cabs are not always cabs - sometimes it's just a dude with a car (guess I should say be cautious here...), but you will find a group of them often hanging out outside of Stanford's. Just say "taxi!" and they will get you back. Or, as is always the best advice, just ask a local, the bartender, etc.

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Uva

xmas007 girl (or anyone else who knows) - we're staying at la costa de papito (in cocles) in a few weeks. can you tell me how long of a walk it is into puerto viejo? also, are there any restaurants/shops along the way ot is it pretty much just deserted road between the two? Thanks a lot!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Uva

we stayed at Azania which is literally right next door to La Costa. It took us 20 - 25 minutes to walk into town, depending on the pace, or $1.50 by cab. Or you can rent bikes for $3.00 - $5.00 per day. Often from your resort. Yes there are a few restaurants between Cocles and Puerto Viejo, and also many south of Cocles. The family that owns Stanfords just opened a new restaurant along that route - called Ms Helena Brown - or someting, but watch out cause there are like three Helena or Elena Brown places in town. There is a fun place called Magic Bus along the way - that serves breakfast on the bus - but stop at night under the palapa for a beer and say hi to Antonio. There is also Salsa Brava restaurant and a few others. There are lots of things scattered along the road both north and south of Cocles. Rent a bike for the day and head south to check stuff out, and head into town. That way you get your bearings and can see what you want to check out at night.

California
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Uva

gotta add my 2 cents:

by far, way far, the best place for food in PV

is Elena Brown's new place ... one big open room you can esily see from road, just south of downtown PV. and cheap !!

She had a poular soda there and expanded.

Food was so good, I went into kitchen and dragged her out so we could applaud.

Huge portions of great food and fresh marlin to die for.... believe it was $4.

Only disclaimer is if you want meal based on local cooking ... didn't go to PV for pizza.

Another popular place is 'Oro' with either rest. or hotel in front of name ... not in same league as above

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Uva

four more cents - we did Oro and it was very very good, but we had horrible service the night we were there.

Also I forgot to say if you stay at Costa de Papito - DO THE JUNGLE SPA - even if you've never had a body treatment before. It is a must, and say hi to Denise from the girl who got wrapped in banana for her birthday. Also have her tell you about the indigenous family and their chocolate farm.