We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

Portland, OR
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

Hi!

I've contacted Interbus and Grayline via email on rates and times they leave from SJO to Puerto Viejo and have had no luck in getting a response. My boyfriend and I are arriving at 12PM at SJO October 5th. We'd prefer not to take the local bus- anyone know what time these buses leave SJO to drive to PV and what the rate per person is?

Thanks!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

Here the bus schedule from San Jose to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca,

puertoviejosatellite.com/transport.php#bus , you need to take a taxi from SJO to the Caribe Terminal, from there the Mepe bus will take you to Puerto.

You can also choose to hire a private driver, I highly recommend Tucan Limo Services.

2. Re: Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 15:40
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

If you go to this website http://www.shuttlebus.co.cr

you can get the schedule and price for using Interbus. You would be going from Rio Segundo (their HQ near the airport) to Puerto Viejo. The shuttle leaves at 7:20 am and arrives Puerto Viejo at 12:25 pm and the cost is $37.05 (there is a slight discount right now).

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

An option also is to contact Gecko Trail Adventures -http://www.geckotrail.com/transport.htm - (nothing to do with me). It's a reliable local tour operator.

You could also drop them a line at info@geckotrail.com and I am sure they will be able to help you out with any form of transport.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

You can Contact this member. Lisa. she lives in Puerto Viejo and has contacts for private transportation and even she is a guide for the area.

She has simple, specific instructions listed on her website for how to use either of the above to get from the airport in San Jose to Puerto Viejo:

travelexperiencecostarica.com/costa-rica-adv…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

In answer to your question the shuttles leave in the morning from San Jose to Puerto Viejo at approx 8am depending on your hotel location. The cost is $39/per adult via Interbus. If you don't want to spend your first night around Alejuela or San Jose your best bet is public bus. A private driver will be at least double the cost of the shuttle for the two of you.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

This is exactly the reason we use a 3rd party to book things like transport. Travelers actually expect a response to simple things like an email request.

This is a classic example of the many frustrations that one can experience when trying to deal with companies like this directly. It used to drive me crazy. My customers would book a reservation with us and then I would hear from them a couple days later and tell me they could not confirm transport with Interbus. So, I would have to be a middle-man trying to arrange their trip.

At first I thought this was a great way to make some extra money with the commission we would get from these transport businesses. It was also a great way to get a headache and an ulcer. 6 months later, I gave that idea up and connected with a 3rd party and referred all clients to them. In the end, I just wanted my clients to be able to get to us as hassle free as possible.

Then even worse... many people would go through process online and feel confident that they were confirmed only to find out of day of transport when bus did not show up that they were not confirmed.

It is endless. 3rd party booking are same price and let them earn their commission by dealing with these people with inside the country. They have direct reps they deal with constant communication.

And if you are going to use private transport, make sure you shop around. Prices vary greatly.

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

We'll be in Puerto Viejo on Oct 1 and used Gecko Trail Adventures geckotrail.com/contact.htm?af=bananaazul for booking transportation, tours, and our hotel in San Jose. They've been great, and very responsive. I tried contacting the hotel we wanted to stay at in San Jose directly by email, and never received a response. When I contacted Gecko Adventures, they were great and worked with me getting me the specific room I wanted at the five room B&B. I appreciate how helpful they've been. We booked our transportation from the airport to our San Jose hotel, and then from our San Jose hotel to Puerto Viejo using Gecko Adventures. I've been very pleased because we're paying the same price as if we had booked things directly, and without all the hassle of doing it ourselves.

They've taken all the frustrations and headaches out of arranging our trip.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

I always use Gecko Trail for Interbus reservations. They're really great.

Edited: 24 September 2010, 16:35
Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking to get to Puerto Viejo from SJO

From my experience Grayline mainly uses interbus and interbus has only 1 shuttle per day to PV which leaves early in the morning.

By the sounds of it, many travelers had great luck with Gecko, so I would go with them. They are really quick in replying and are very reliable.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...