We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Selection Help for PV area

I am finishing up plans for my second trip to CR and now need to decide on the hotel in the PV area. I am usually very dilligent about reading every review and many forum posts, however I am running short on time and there are many different "types" of hotels in the PV!!

I am really looking for the following:

* Across the street or direcly on the beach (rooms with a view)

* A hotel with a swimming pool

* Wi-fi access (perferably in the rooms, but lobby could work)

* 1.5 KM or less from town (PV)

* Budget of less than $100 night

* Breakfest included in the rate

* A/C preferred, however I would love to hear from "northerners" and thier ability to sleep at night without a/c!!)

Are these reasonable requests?

Which towns would fit the bill for 1.5 KM or less from PV?

Are there many resturant choices outside of PV proper?

Do I need a car to get around the different areas or are taxis plentiful when a bike is not appropriate. Is there anywhere to rent a car in PV?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Kristy

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Le Camaleon...nice nice hotel...

Cariblue...now they are offering some nice seating area by front desk...nice pool...

Korrigans Lodge...in Punta Uva but nice any way...

roadadvisor

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Thank you for the quick reply.. How far away is Puerto Uva from PV? Is there many resturants/ super markets close by? My husband is not much of one to just lay out at the beach/pool so I want to make sure that we can walk or ride places when we are not our on an excursion..

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Let me give some options which will fit closest into your list:

Banana Azul, Cariblue, Azania, Totem, La Isla Inn, La Costa de Papito (no pool).

Le Cameleon is further away and in a very different price range and Korrigan is even further, not a hotel and no pool.

Between Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo (basically this destination, a stretch of 16 km.) are several restaurants, La Pecora Nera, Jungle Love, Pita Bonita, Selvins, El Refugio and Maxis in Manzanillo. Of course a nice choice of restaurants in PV as well.

During daytime you can easily go about on a bike and use taxis for when it is dark. Alternatively you can hire a golfcart and POAS has an agency for car rental but I would deal with head office and not with the agency.

I am a Northener and live here, I have no AC and absolutely do not need one

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Just saw your second post...Punta Uva is about 6km. from PV and judging by your questions, my guess is that you would probably be better of nearer PV.

Tahoe City, CA
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Not a lot of choices with a pool, AC, and view. Totem has all of that though and in your price range. Another option is El Nido, but no view. Villas Caribe is nice too, on the beach, but no pool. Geckoes Lodge looks very nice, but might be out of your price range and does not have AC.

There are several restaurants between Puerto Viejo and Punta Uva....but I prefer to have a car when visiting this area.

Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Punta Uva is about 15 minutes by byke...lovely beach...great spot for snorkeling...I do a lot of kayaking around there and Manzanillo...most of the time the ocean is like a pool table...I try myself to be not to close to PuertoViejo...even that I like Puerto Viejo...in my opinion is better a little further...

The beach in Punta Uva is incredible nice with great sand

Regarding shopping some Pulperias and stores around the way from Punta Uva to Puerto Viejo...

Check Cariblue...very much what you are looking for...

Nothing better than Le Camaleon...but maybe a little more that what you are looking for...but if you can try to stay there...that is a real nice place..

Korrigan lodge is about 5 nice bungalows...not a hotel...but better than many that are call hotels...very decent young couple husband and wife...run the operation...hard working people!

roadadvisor

Thank you for asking and please feel free to contact me anytime...

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,003 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Just wanted to alert you that many if not most visitors do not actually stay in the town of Puerto Viejo but in lodges strung along the 16 Km road and beaches south of town from Playa Cocles and Playa Chiquita down to Punta Uva and on to Manzanillo. Lodges and restaurants are strung along this road so I'm not sure the need to be so close to town. Check the map at http://puertoviejosatellite.com/ for hotel and restaurant locations

Sounds like La Isla Inn laislainn.com/en/…la-isla-inn-hotel.html with pool and AC rooms ($96 including tax and breakfast) is your best bet, assuming high season rates. Cariblue is above your budget. Totem has rooms in your budget but their beachfront rooms are more than you've allowed. Limited number of hotels have pools and limited number have AC. If you'll waive either requirement or increase your budget there are lots more options.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Great advice by crfan...good one...

roadadvisor

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Thank you for the help.. I have been looking over the posts and the hotel websites. I am thinking of droping the A/C requrement and also increasing my budget to approx $125 to pay for the view, however I still do want a pool. Given the update to budget and requirements... what is your top pick?

Do we need a rental car to get around, or can we make due for 4-5 days with tours and taxis??

thanks again!

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Selection Help for PV area

Sounds like it's going to be a contest between Totem, La Isla Inn and Banana Azul. Your best pick I will leave to you.

I am very much a car person but you can do all with bikes and taxis.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...