We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

Utah
Level Contributor
71 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

Here is my very long winded review of our short visit to Puerto Viejo. Hopefully it helps answer a few questions, and provides some information for those of you thinking of visiting the area.

First off, I want to say, anyone considering visiting the Caribbean side of Costa Rica, should absolutely do it! This was my second trip to Costa Rica and previously I had spent all of my time (about 20 days) exploring the pacific coast and the Arenal area (both amazing places, and I will be submitting reviews for those areas as well). This time, before we left Costa Rica, my wife and I really wanted to run over and spend a few nights on the Caribbean side, just to check it out. Our experience was absolutely amazing, and we are already planning our next trip back to Puerto Viejo.

Drive

We tried to take the scenic drive from Arenal to the coat, but took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up going back through San Jose. While I am sure it added more time to the drive, it was fun to get to see more of the countryside. It was a bit of a drive from the San Jose area, over to Limon, then down to Puerto Viejo. It took us about 5 hours getting there and about 4 hours getting back (traffic was a lot heavier headed to the coast). The thing about the drive is that it passes quickly because you travel through some amazingly beautiful areas. We passed through some sort of National Park with absolutely amazing scenery. You also get to pass through a lot of growing grounds for what looked like Bananas and pineapple, which we thought was pretty neat. The stretch between Limon and Puerto Viejo is on a road that mostly runs along the ocean and again was a beautiful stretch of road. We stopped at several fruit stands on the road side and purchased fresh fruit and freshly baked breads from the locals. The people of Costa Rica are truly the kindest you will meat.

Hotel

While there, we stayed at the Cariblue Hotel, and were extremely happy with it. The accommodations were very nice and exactly as advertised. Our room was comfortable and it had a/c, which was a big deal for my wife and I. The pool area and bar were very nice, and the grounds were beautiful. The highlight of this place (for us) was the resident sloth that hangs out in the tree right by the check in desk, that we got to look at and take pictures of every time we came or went from the hotel. We also had the pleasure of being woken up by howler monkeys our last morning, so that was pretty cool too.

The hotel is not right on the beach, but it is just across the street and it was only about a 2 minute walk from our room to be on a beautiful stretch of beach. Add this to the fact the place has a nice pool, and we didn’t feel like we were missing anything not being right on the beach.

The breakfast buffet had a nice variety of fruits, breads and pastries, rice and beans, and some eggs and sausage. We didn’t have the chance to eat dinner at the hotel (as I always prefer to eat dinners away from the hotel), but the menu looked nice. The price was a bit on the high side, but I think that’s fairly typical for any hotel restaurant.

Restaurants

Maxi’s – We went down to Manzanillo one afternoon and enjoyed a great lunch at Maxi’s. My wife is a vegetarian and got some sort of dish in a Caribbean sauce and she really enjoyed it. I got the Casado with Caribbean chicken, and it was great. The chicken was a tad over cooked, but the spices and sauce were amazing. The setting was beautiful, the drinks were cold, and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I would absolutely recommend a visit to this place.

Bread and Chocolate – we went here fully intending to have lunch, but ended up getting fresh lemonade and a plate of their various truffles. I am a serious fan of chocolate and all I can say is this place is great. After filling up on sweets, we didn’t have room for a meal, but their menu looked good, and I will for sure return for lunch on my next trip.

Koki Beach - we picked this place due to the beautiful ocean view it has. Their yucca chips were awesome and I had the tilapia with Caribbean sauce. The view and the ambiance were amazing, and it was probably my favorite meal of my trip. Their prices are a little higher than the other places we saw, but in my mind, it was absolutely worth it.

Salsa Brava - we went here our last night for dinner. Again it was right on the water, and while we couldn’t really see the ocean, the sound of the waves added to the dinner experience. We received some complimentary bruschetta which I thought was really good. I don’t know if it is something they typically do, or if it was just taking a while to prepare our dinners so they brought us out an appetizer, but either way, we thought it was a very nice touch on the service side of things. I had some coconut shrimp with a mango sauce that I thought it was pretty good. Overall I thought the food was good and the service was excellent, so I would not hesitate to recommend someone visit here for lunch or dinner.

Activities - We didn’t have much time in the area so we were limited in what we could do. We did go to the Jaguar rescue center, and it was well worth the time and the 14.00 admission. We got to see 2 and 3 toed sloths, monkeys, toucans, and other amazing animals and reptiles. The tour was very informative, and to top it off, they let you hang out in an enclosure with a bunch of little monkeys that are swinging all over the place and will happily use the tourists as a jungle gym.

Beaches – absolutely beautiful! We spent a good part of our time there just walking up and down the beaches between Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo. It is truly amazing to see the jungle/rain Forest run right up against a beautiful golden sand beach, and right into the blue Caribbean waters.

The last thing I will touch on is crime. I read and heard a lot about crime down in this part of the Country. While I didn’t spend a lot of time in the area, I can truly say not once did my wife or I feel uncomfortable or nervous of our surroundings? Like everyone on this board says, use common sense, and you will be fine. We didn’t take any long walks on secluded beaches at night, and we were not out super late walking around town. We did however wander town freely in the evenings, and took walks up and down quiet beaches during the day with only one or two other people around, and we felt safe as could be. We did have a car, so its not like we were walking or riding a bike long distances in the dark, but again, that goes back to using common sense and just being aware of your surroundings. I do understand people being cautious and hesitant to go places where they hear crime is an issue. However, after experiencing this place first hand, I am hopeful that the few bad apples in this area, wont dissuade people from visiting this amazingly beautiful place.

The Caribbean side is VERY different from the pacific side, but I think that is what makes it so great. I have loved every part of Costa Rica I have visited, and after only 2 days in Puerto Viejo, my wife and I are intent on getting back to spend a full week there, and experience more of what the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica has to offer.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Pura Vida!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

Thanks for posting!

Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

Sounds fantastic! I'm a vegetarian and my husband isn't, so your restaurant tips are very helpful for when we go in September. :) You said you had a car - do you think you would have managed alright without one?

I really like how Cariblue sounds - we're trying to decide between it and the Hotel Totem. Did you see the Hotel Totem, right near Cariblue, and if you did, what did you think of it as compared to Cariblue?

Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

I almost forgot - which of the bunglaows did you stay in? Bungalow Standard Deluxe or the Superior Bungalow? I think the Standard Deluxe is smaller than the Superior?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

Great trip report! Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed report.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

Wonderful trip report. Sounds like you had an amazing time. Thanks for sharing!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

Great report, thanks for posting and come back soon.

Cheers

Utah
Level Contributor
71 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

Posting some reviews is the least I could do. I know that I got a lot of pointers and info by reading posts made by a number of you, and was very appreciative for the info you all gave.

Hypna,

You will have such a great time. As far as being Vegetarian, you are good to go. All of the places we went had great vegetarian options. My wife has liked eating down in Costa Rica more than back here in the states because there are lots of amazing vegetarian options everywhere we go down there.

As for going without the car, I am sure you would be fine. We had a car because we went coast to coast on this trip, plus we just love the freedom of a car. During the day both the jaguar rescue center, and the town of Puerto Viejo are within nice walking or biking distance. However, my personal opinion is I would not want to walk that road at night (however tons of people do and seemingly do so without much of an issue)

As for the room, we got the superior room for around 125.00 a night. The room was great, had a nice tv in it, and the a/c was well worth the extra money in our mind. There is also a sweet hammock right outside the front door.

unfortunately I didn’t have a chance to check out any of the other hotels, including the totem. Most of the stuff we saw did look nice, and I don’t recall seeing anywhere that turned me off from the appearance only. We loved the Cariblue for sure though.

any more questions, let me know. You are going to have an awesome time!

West Haven...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

This review was so helpful! I have been trying to look into where to go in september, and I had pretty much decided on this area..But was so on the fence! If anyone has any more to add on what to do and how sept. is in general down there..that would be great!!

San Jose
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

Great news to hear

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,795 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long winded trip review of Puerto Viejo

Love to read your report...mostly when you mentioned crime in the area...thank you...please keep coming back we love people like you!

roadadvisor

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...