We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is rainy season here?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
When is rainy season here?

My boyfriend and I greatly enjoyed the Puerto Viejo area, and would like to return for another visit in the future. We asked around as to when the rains hit, and got different answers everytime. I know it typically rains here off & on more than other areas of Costa Rica, but is there an actual rainy season? If so, when is it so we know to avoid it?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is rainy season here?

Also, if anyone can recommend a decently priced long term rental in the Playa Chiquita area, that would be great. My only requirement is it must have a reliable internet connection (for my work).

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is rainy season here?

Look here: www.puertoviejosatellite.com

For long term rental, you can also try VRBO. Your best bet is to stay somewhere at a hotel or cabinas in the area for a few days and look around and ask around. Many places for rent are not advertised on the internet - plus - I would not want to do a long-term rental without looking at it. You just never know.

For rainfall patterns, look here: costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is rainy season here?

There is a graph onhttp://puertoviejosatellite.com/weather.php that actually has the rain totals of the last few years so you can see the pattern.

Caribesur
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is rainy season here?

This site is a good tool to get you a general idea of what to expect in terms of rain and what months are dryer then others

costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

Hope you find it helpful

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is rainy season here?

Both, Puerto Viejo Satellite as well as Costa Rica Guide, give you a good idea on how the weather should be each month. However, I find that the weather has changed over the last years. It is more dry and the month with heavy rain are less. But than again, it is nature and it has its on will :o) That's why I usually recommend clients not to focus too much on the weather. Less expectations, less disappointment :o)

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is rainy season here?

Rainy season is from late October until Late January. It can extend further or lesser each way. During that time we have rain randomly - not every day at the same time, like the other parts of the country in their rainy season. It can rain for a few days and then have sun for a few days. It can rain in the morning and be sunny the rest of the day. you just never know.

They say there is a "summer rainy season" in June or July but I have not really noticed much difference at that time. I think the nicest time to be here is in the fall - unless you are a surfer - the water is flat like a swimming pool, crystal clear and there are sunny skies most every day.

I live in Puerto Viejo and blog a weather report every day, from my own experience. If you look at that you can see what each day has been like since March 2010. (There are a few exceptions. I happen to be visiting my mom in Philly right now so no reports until I get back.)

7. Re: When is rainy season here?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 01:16