We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking at january

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Looking at january

Hi... Well it appears there are a number of individuals here that know the area well....which is great. My husband and I are looking at leaving the cold for the month of January. Should we be looking in this area, how is the weather, are the bugs horrific, little black flies en mass cause me to have an allergic reaction. There will not be a rental car so we will walk or cycle..... So what do you think?

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking at january

Puerto Viejo area is beautiful, rustic, and undeveloped, to me is one of the most beautiful areas of the country. It is in a tropical rain forest with lots of wildlife which insects are part of, sometimes January can be wet, but other times is not bad, I would say weather wise, the Pacific is better that time of the year. The area if perfect for biking and walking during the day, at night there are plenty of taxis to get you around, local buses are available for longer local trips. I like the Cocles area just outside of town, or Punta Uva area for the best beaches and more isolated lodging. Even if you decide to go to the Pacific, fine a good insect repellent, it will come in handy there too.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,869 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking at january

Hard to have a better person to answer yur question than Cubanon...and he will no try to sell you anything!

roadadvisor

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking at january

Beaches are important to us as is a natural setting....birds, butterflies, more birds and not too great a hike with groceries. Snorkeling in turquoise water ...no great tow so floating is a treat......we love Cuba's beaches, Negril was fine until the afternoon showers brought the river runoff...

Didn't really like the sound of the crime in this area I read about in another thread but nature sounds as if it hasn't been tampered with as much as it has on the Pacific side. It also sounds as if the wildlife is more plentiful here.

Don't need nightlife, at all but having a good restaurant for occasional meals, great fresh veggie and fruit stall for me and fish or pork for the carnivore hubby is really important.... Last January hunting for fresh veggies in Punta Cana was not so much fun. So what would you suggest as an area to look?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking at january

Thank you

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking at january

Maybe down into Dominical, some whale watchcing down that way, the whales tail in Uvita is pretty awesome. Google for pics http://bit.ly/qqqIGx and you will see what I mean. Good seafood anywhere on the coast. Pretty quiet area, I think you would dig it.

Cheers

Edited: 14 July 2011, 18:01
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking at january

Thanks Incabod but I checked the area out and it didn't appeal. Quepos seemed more small village and natural ....what do you think? We don't want tourist areas but village life, with the beach and rainforest. Guess we want it all... And to live in our own space

Edited: 14 July 2011, 18:49
Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking at january

Costa Rica beaches will be nothing like Cuba's clarity, but it has more bio diverse than them. The beaches from Playa Chiquita South are calm and perfect for swimming and snorkeling if the weather cooperates, if not, there is too much run off form rivers that make water murky, best snorkeling and beaches in my opinion are around Punta Uva, but is a good 30 minute bike ride into Puerto Viejo. If you stay in Cocles area you'll be closer to town for dining and shopping, Pirripli mini-market has a great selection of groceries and get fresh fruit and veggies regularly. Costa de Papito is a great choice for a hotel, Finca Chica offers houses for rent equipped with kitchens. The beach in Cocles is a great surfing beach, not so good for swimming in January usually.

Edited: 14 July 2011, 18:52
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,869 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking at january

You are WELCOME!

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking at january

Quepos may be a small town but its 3 miles from the most frequently visited national park and beach in Costa Rica. If you're looking to get away from crowds Quepos is not the place to be as its on the only through route to Manuel Antonio and the streets are clogged with traffic. If you want a small beach town away from the crowds where you don't need a car you should look at Montezuma or better yet Samara, farther north on the Pacific coast. See http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/montezuma/ and http://www.nicoyapeninsula.com/samara/.

Caribesur
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking at january

If you like snorkeling Punta Uva beach on the way to Manzanillo is great with coral reef and little tow. Besides that its just a gorgeous beach.

Taxis are cheap and plentiful for those days you decide to do major grocery shopping.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...