We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What type of footwear in Puerto Viejo

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What type of footwear in Puerto Viejo

Hello fellow travelers.

Please forgive me if this question appears ignorant, but what are the best type of footwear to wear around Puerto Viejo? I def know to bring sandals, but I also thought to bring a couple of shoes with heels for clubbing purposes.

Is it laid back enough to wear flats everywhere - including the clubs? Or should I pack a heel or two just in case? Thanks!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What type of footwear in Puerto Viejo

Please, no heels! You would be really out of place. Puerto Viejo is very laidback, informal, rustic, beachy, etc. Flip-flops with rhinestones are about the dressiest thing you will see.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What type of footwear in Puerto Viejo

Dear Sharon...

Just some nice sandals...

roadadvisor

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What type of footwear in Puerto Viejo

flip flops or bare feet, only dress code allowed!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What type of footwear in Puerto Viejo

If you are doing canopy or rafting, you need shoes that will stay on your feet. No flip flops.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What type of footwear in Puerto Viejo

I live in Keens when I'm in Costa Rica. Sometimes Salomon Tech's when needed.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
276 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What type of footwear in Puerto Viejo

I second support of Keens! I bought my first pair for our trip earlier this month and lived in them during the day! They were great for biking, hiking and exploring the beach as there were a few spiky sea urchins in the shallow shores that I wouldn't want to have stepped on in my bare feet! Any kind of water shoe would suffice, though.

At night, the fanciest thing I wore were gold Old Navy flip flops! LOL! I had packed a pair of platform sandals and NEVER took them out of the suitcase. wish I'd left them at home so I'd have had more room to bring back coffee! :)

I saw one woman in stilettos once and she looked way out of place! Even when we dined in higher end places in other regions like Grano de Oro in San Jose and La Luna at Gaia in Manuel Antonio, my gold flip flops were perfect. Paired with a cute sundress, I felt like I fit in fine!

Happy packing!

7. Re: What type of footwear in Puerto Viejo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2012, 10:16