We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental freedom vs taxis

Wildwood, Missouri
Level Contributor
493 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental freedom vs taxis

We'll be staying at Namowaki Lodge in April for a week. We love our freedom & usually rent cars while on vacation all over the world. I want to rent a car down in the Puerto Viejo area for a few days & not rent/drive the car from San Jose. (we'll be hiring someone to pick us up at airport & driving us to Lodge). Are there any reasonable prices available? I was quoted $130 just for the car to be delivered to my door each way - thought it was rather pricy. Any comments, thoughts on prices of car rentals? I just didn't want to rely on calling taxis, waiting on taxis, etc everytime we picked up and explored somewhere. please help.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental freedom vs taxis

$130 to deliver your car each way seems pricy check with Adobe car rental to see if they give you a better deal. If that is the case it would be a lot cheaper to use taxis or hire a local driver from the area through your hotel

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental freedom vs taxis

Taxis do work pretty well here, we provide our guests telephone numbers of, in our opinion, reliable drivers and they seem very happy with that. You could try Poas Rental Car, they have an agency near Puerto Viejo. Much better to book on-line compared to showing up at the office. $130 for delivering is excessive.

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental freedom vs taxis

I would do Taxi's. Save your money for restaurants an tours. Namwoki reception should help you. The rate from your hotel to town is about $7 or 3500 colones. Always confirm rate before trip.

Bikes are also a good option at times from that location. Have a great trip!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental freedom vs taxis

I usually would say to rent a car but the Puerto Viejo area is PERFECT for just renting a bike or walking. Taxis are cheap and it's so flat here you have many options. I'd say skip the car rental for this area! :-)

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental freedom vs taxis

If you want to rent a car, go with Poas, they used to charge only $25 to deliver to Puerto Viejo area, or you can pick up at their office, 15 minutes from town. Bikes, taxis, bus work great in town, save your money for more fun stuff.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,147 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental freedom vs taxis

Agree with Cubanon and Gecko es Lodge...they know the area...I will go for the taxi...$ 130.00 is way to much money...that is close to be a ripp off!

roadadvisor

7. Re: Car rental freedom vs taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 10:20