We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkling at Punta Uva

Grand Canyon...
3 posts
Save Topic
Snorkling at Punta Uva

A while ago I found a website about someone who rented snorkling gear, boggie boards and kayaks from a place right on the beach at Punta Uva. I can ot seem to remember the name of the place or web address. I know it was not the Punta Uva Dive Center. If someone could help me out with the info that would be great.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snorkling at Punta Uva

I stayed just about a block from the beach at Punta Uva. Having read all of the warnings of petty theft I was paranoid. Turned out no one I met has had a problem. While I'm sure it happens i ended up taking some stuff and leaving it on the beach while in the water. I did choose to take a cheap plastic grocery store bag so it didn't look like "valuables" in a designer bag

;-) Also rode around on the comp bike and didn't lock it with no problem..just sayin I was more worried than I needed to be. Even walked solo up to Manzanillo. At least 4 police on motorbikes passed me and waved. The only thing that startled me was a troop of howler monkeys. Amazing how much more of nature I saw walking rather than zipping by on a bike or in a bus/taxi. Sadly the snorkeling was very poor due to the water having been stirred up with wind and rain.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snorkling at Punta Uva

We're staying in Puerto Viejo so I'm sure it'll be similar there too?

I did the same thing last year when we went to Mexico, read a lot online before we went so I could plan our trip and get to know the area a bit. I read lots about the crime, the 'bad guys', don't rent a car otherwise police will jack you up for bribes, etc... Was pretty paranoid when we went, but had absolutely zero problem, even with renting a car for a week, we drove everywhere and were fine.

I guess just use common sense, be aware of your surroundings and quit reading bad things online and one should be fine? :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snorkling at Punta Uva

No keep reading! I'm glad you didn't have any issues but petty theft of property is an issue in nearly all tourist areas - and not just in Costa Rica. Take a few precautions so that you don't lose $$s, passports, cameras, etc. when they are left sitting out - whether in your rooms, in the car or on the beach. Small price to pay to save a lot of headaches if you're unlucky enough to get hit on. The vast majority of people you will encounter will be friendly and go out of their way to be helpful, but it only takes 1 bad apple to destroy a vacation.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snorkling at Punta Uva

I actually bought my pacsafe for Mexico and it stayed in the suitcase the whole time. Our stuff on the beach at the resort was fine, and it was fine when we went swimming in Tulum too, but again, I kept an eye on it and there were enough people there to hopefully notice someone rifling through bags.

Our cameras are not an issue, both are waterproof so both are on us at all times, even in the water. Only thing that would be left on the beach is towels, shoes and a bag to carry it all in.

I'm a bit worried about our room though as we don't have a safe in our room, apparently the only safe is in the lobby, so hopefully our passports will be safe there, I will just carry photocopies around with us. I'm planning on buying a couple heavy duty bike locks to lock our luggage together and keep our valuables locked in the luggage (like laptop, which I have to bring, and our iphones, we have a long trip, with a teenage boy, he needs his music/games, and I need to be able to call home if needed). If something happens, well, what can you do right?

I'm pretty sure all will be fine, as I read similar stuff about Mexico and Europe when we went. Like I said above, common sense, knowing your surroundings and not taking any unnecessary risks will make for a good trip :) Despite all the bad things I've read, I know it happens everywhere. An ounce of prevention and all that!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snorkling at Punta Uva

I agree. Theft is everywhere including the places we all live. We try to travel with as few credit cards as we can, little to no jewelry etc. I have had some loss over many years of travel in the Caribbean,Mexico, Bahamas, Europe and Central America. Directly as a result of being careless. I've learned to lock doors and windows when going out, keep passports in a safe where it is possible, not flash cash when paying bills, not talk about plans like tours etc in bars where you can be overheard (locals know how long these tours have you away from your lodging) keep valuables out of sight etc. If someone grabs my bag with a beach towel and shoes in it..life will go on. The great experiences far outweigh the negative ones. My big concern in the Puerto Viejo area was reading about robbers who run out of the jungle with machetes when you are walking or riding a bike in the sparsely populated areas..locals affirmed that has been a big problem...thankfully not one I experienced.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Snorkling at Punta Uva

See, that's what scares me, the violence of some of the crimes. I am a single woman travelling with my teen son, so that kind of puts us at a disadvantage too, a woman with a child. While I've never really had problems travelling before, I am half tempted to bring a can of bear spray with me, this way if threatened, we can fight back, but that may very well cause more harm than good.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Snorkling at Punta Uva

If you were attacked, just hand over whatever you have and that will be it, violence, normally, only happens when you try and fight someone off. The more you carry on you, the more likely you will try and defend yourself and making the problem bigger than it otherwise would be.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Snorkling at Punta Uva

No way anything I own is worth getting hurt over. Resisting a bandit is just not practical as who knows if they are violent, hyped up on drugs etc. Give them what they want and they run away...attacking them would pretty much assure they attack you back. I traveled this last trip as a solo female and never felt at all threatened. I walked the beach, walked from Punta Uva to Manzanillo and rode the bike into PV. I would not have done any of those things alone after dark tho. When I went anywhere at night I used a taxi. One tip I always use is to bring copies of any credit cards as well as my passport..that way if anything should happen you have what you need to cancel cc etc....have never needed them but better safe than sorry. Jan go enjoy your trip! I hope you plan to visit the refuge there. Lots of sloths, when I was there they even had several baby sloths. An area to interact with monkeys, lots of things to see and enjoy. Just use common sense and travel safely.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Snorkling at Punta Uva

If I am in a sketchy area I keep my real wallet in my front pocket and an old one with a couple of bucks and expired some expired cards in my back pocket. If ever asked for my wallet, guess which one they will get. But...never ever have I had any trouble in Costa Rica.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Snorkling at Punta Uva

Yeah, wont be carrying around anything I don't want to lose, that's for sure! Everything is definitely replaceable.

We are planning to go to the sloth sanctuary and the Jaguar rescue centre. That was about all I could find in terms of animal rescue places.

Looking forward to it, has been pretty rainy and cool here so far this year, need some sunshine and beaches! :)