We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kinds of clothes should we bring? April 12th!

boulder
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Topic
What kinds of clothes should we bring? April 12th!

We're heading to Punta Uva/Puerto Viejo/ April 12th - April 20th.

Can you guys tell me what clothes my wife should bring? She really wants to know. While we're at it, what kinds of clothes should Guys(me) bring? We'll be hiking, biking, rafting, you name it.

Lastly, I have a big old list of other things we should bring too. Can anyone add to it? Thanks!!!

1. EAR PLUGS

2. SUN TAN LOTION

3. MOSQUOTO REPELENT (HEAVY DEET)

4. HATS

5. SNORKLE GEAR INCLUDING DROPS

6. Jacket- It is the tropics, but you will need something to keep you warm at higher elevations, or on the open ocean. It gets genuinely cold in the cloud forest and on volcano rims.

7. Bandana for neck when wearing baseball hat on the water

8. Mesh bag for wet clothes

9. I pod

10. Headphones

11. Nook

12. A couple national geos for photos

13. All medicines including addy, advil, fish oil and valium

14. Camera lenses and camera gear.

15. Shoes and flip flops

16. Bandaids

17. Binoculars

18. Copies of our passports to carry with us(leave real ones in safe)

19. Cotton or synthetic pants for jungle if needed

20. Water bottles for hikes and beach

21. Shades

22. Padded biking shorts

23. Hiking shoes or boots

Edited: 29 March 2012, 16:03
Mentioned in this post
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What kinds of clothes should we bring? April 12th!

Small umbrella and flashlight or head lamps. make sure to try to bring clothes that dry quickly.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
510 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kinds of clothes should we bring? April 12th!

For your wife,

A pareo/sarong or two is always nice. You can wear it over a swimming suit, or as a skirt with a tank top and dress it up with the "jungle jewelry" for sale in the stands. It's fun to buy your pareos when you're down there.

As for the valium, keep an eye on it. I carried a bottle of pills "just in case" for years. One day I opened it, and all the pills were gone. I have no idea from what trip or where it happened.

Boston, MA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What kinds of clothes should we bring? April 12th!

I second the comment about clothes that dry quickly. I'd also advise the wife to bring more than 1 bathing suit and coverup. I only brought one and it never dried the whole time I was there. Same for the coverup (which I think was cotton, bad idea). Have fun!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What kinds of clothes should we bring? April 12th!

wow! You are organized! Not only that... You got the gear!!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What kinds of clothes should we bring? April 12th!

Looks like you have given this a lot of thought! Here is a link to a great CR packing list: costa-rica-guide.com/travel/index.php…

You're going to love Punta Uva and Puerto Viejo. Amazing area with pristine forests, beautiful beaches and colorful culture.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Uva
Punta Uva
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Fernandina Beach...
Level Contributor
83 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What kinds of clothes should we bring? April 12th!

I would also add ziplock bags for air-tight dry storage. Everything will get damp including papers, passport, money, food, etc. We learned that from our last trip and are packing accordingly this time!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What kinds of clothes should we bring? April 12th!

I always travel with a travel size pack of baby wipes. They are not just for babies anymore. Great for washing hands when no water may be available, great for wiping sweat and cooling off.

8. Re: What kinds of clothes should we bring? April 12th!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 20:19
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...