We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental or bus with three kids?

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental or bus with three kids?

We are traveling to Puerto Viejo from San Jose with our three kids. We will be spending a week there. Public bus (we'll have one lg suitcase) or rental car?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental or bus with three kids?

It would be cheaper with the public bus and it should work out just fine.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental or bus with three kids?

Yes, you could take the bus but for your first time here I would suggest the private shuttle - Interbus is excellent and they charge half price for kids. You could rent a car but when you are not familiar with the country driving can be very stressful. And you don't really need a car if you are staying in Puerto Viejo.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,844 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental or bus with three kids?

I suggest a rental car with 3 kids. It will make it much easier to get to dinner as lodgings are spread out along the coast south of Puerto Viejo and odds are you won't be within an easy walk of Puerto Viejo itsef. The car makes it much easier to run into town and hit the ATM, get groceries and then find another beach to explore. You can also save money on some excursions as you won't need trasnportation which can be a substnatial cost for a family of 5. You could get around by bike during the day if your family is experienced riding on the road in hot humid climates. I think adults can manage fine without a car but it is more difficult with 3 kids.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental or bus with three kids?

I am with crfan. If you feel comfortable with driving it would be a plus having a car. A Gps to navigate San Jose would be helpful. from the airport it should not take more than 5 hours but make sure to do this trip (and back) during daytime. It gets dark early, between 5.30 and 6.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental or bus with three kids?

With kids...the buses are not the best option...way to slow and complicated ...no good idea...even that our bus system is nice and cheap...it will not work for you...with kids is a lot better with your own car...

Totally agree with Gecko and crfan...

roadadvisor

Iowa
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental or bus with three kids?

Great! Thanks, everyone! Which rental company do you recommend? CANNOT WAIT for CR!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental or bus with three kids?

Check adobe car rental or Alamo. Make sure whatever company you use includes the daily mandatory insurance in the rates to avoid surprises when picking up the car

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental or bus with three kids?

Budget...Avis...Hertz...Toyota...Alamo..try to deal with the big guys...and do it directly you really do not need a middle person to book a car...

Good choice I´m glad you are going for the car option...

roadadvisor

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental or bus with three kids?

I would take the shuttle with Interbus. They are small air conditioned vans seat about 8. Comfortable and efficient. I took the trip late May 2012 from San Jose to PV. It takes about 4.5 hrs. The road is quite good.

I would not recommend the local bus.

In PV you really don't need a car. You can get a taxi to go wherever you want to.

10. Re: Car rental or bus with three kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:42