We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking the water

Which Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moorhead, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Topic
drinking the water

can any body tell me how safe the water is for drinking ? i will staying out of city limits and i would be on a well system i think

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drinking the water

i've never had a problem drinking the tap water, but others say they have. if you have a delicate stomach you may want to stick to bottled water, i prefer cristal over alpina.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drinking the water

While you can drink tap water almost everywhere in CR, it is impossible to say if you are drinking well water that it is not filtered by AYA. When in doubt, drink bottled water. It's inexpensive and beats the alternative...

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drinking the water

If for any reason you do not feel safe...just buy some bottles of water...I drive around and drink water almost everywhere around the country...and so far so good!

roadadvisor

Midwest
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drinking the water

I would (and do) error on the side of caution and stick to bottled water. Its not the water is bad, but coming from the states, its possibly less filtered then we are used to. I keep a bottle in the bathroom to brush my teeth etc.

Third trip coming up and I have never had any real problems; other than a little "travelers stomach" from eating too much!

Moorhead, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: drinking the water

thanks so much for your insights...guess i'll be sticking with the bottled water as much as possible...i'll just have to drink my drinks before the ice melts :-)

Tampa, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: drinking the water

Water is safe to drink but if you prefer there is plenty of bottled water not so expensive.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drinking the water

Mike is correct that the water is safe, so why buy bottled. Just bring or purchase a refillable bottle. Anywhere that the water is not potable (like at the top of a volcano or maybe a well) it will be clearly posted.

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drinking the water

If a place is on municipal water it is safe to drink, however, not every place is. Most likely bottled water will be provided in that case.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: drinking the water

Agree with MIKEA...bottles of water ...nice and affordable!

roadadvisor

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drinking the water

hey mike is the water better in tampa or san jose?