We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veragura Rainforest

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Veragura Rainforest

Has anyone taken the ride/tour to Veragura Rainforest Park? How long would the ride be from PV and is it worth the trip?Does the canopy tour even compare to the other ones available in the area? It looks interesting but would it be a morning till night tour if we did everything available there? Trying to plan some of our activities with 7 of us ranging from 20- 65. It looks like there's a bit for everyone here?

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Veragura Rainforest

It is about 1.5 hours from Puerto Viejo and to be honest, I do not know anyone that has gone on it for a few years. They seem to have faded off in popularity somewhat. Much of their business comes from cruise ships.

The canopy offered in Puerto Viejo is one of the best in the country. If canopy is important, that is the one!

Since you are going to be in Manzanillo, I would hook up with jungle guide "Ricky". He is quite the character and our guests love him. If you deal with him directly I am sure you could get a good group rate. Try and go as early as your comfort allows. The earlier you go, the more you usually see.

I think between Ricky and PV Canopy you would get a way more real and less processed experience then Veragura Rainforest tours.

One other one to consider is the all-day, canopy/jungle ATV tour. Very fun and good value.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Veragura Rainforest

Thanks,Colin...I figured it might be that sort of place! Not that it's a bad thing,but maybe not for our group! How do I reach "Ricky"? I've also read of"Tino" and "Able" for the area.What would be one of your top things to do in the Manzanillo area? Some things we have already considered are : caribe horseback,rescue centre,sloth sanctuary,a jungle hike,Chahuita snorkel,jungle spa,an all day adventure,boat or kayaking, and we'd like to figure out the best waterfall to see! We are in Manzanillo and PV for 10 days with an age range from 21- 65! We are quite adventurous and can't sit still too long. Maybe some scattered periods of time on the beach. Thanks for any info Deb

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Veragura Rainforest

I would also suggest the canopy in Ouerto Viejo is is a great one. No need to travel almost 2 hours to Veragua. Have a great trip!

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Veragura Rainforest

The ones you mentioned are indeed three great guides, I only have contact information for Abel: http://manzanillo-caribe.com/abel/abel.html. A jungle hike with one of them is actually one of the top things to do in Manzanillo or if you really want to go for it try this one: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1644063-d18…

There are several good options for horseback riding, the one you mentioned and also Seahorse stables and Bruce Walker. The rescue centre is very popular, two tours every morning (not Sundays) at 9.30 and 11.30, not need to do this organised, you can just show up. It can be crowded at times. I believe there is no need to go to the sloth sanctuary since the rescue centre has baby sloths too. Junior Palmer does a great tour, combining a waterfall with a visit to an indigenous family with explanation of chocolate making, medicinal plants etc. he is also an excellent cook, taught by his mother, and he can make you an incredible rondon: https://www.facebook.com/junior.palmer.35…

Colin already mentioned snorkelling in Cahuita, another thought would be going out with Wahoo Fishing & Tours, you can customise your trip, doing a bit of fishing, snorkelling and dolphin watching: https:/… They won't go to Cahuita but south from Puerto Viejo, direction Punta Mona and have the best captain/fisherman in the area.

Have a blast!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Veragura Rainforest

Totally agree with Geckoes lodge...Abel Bustamante is incredible good and is a freelancer...you do not need any funny middle person to book with him...maybe you can ask his where abouts in Hotel Cabinas Arrecifes, in Punta Uva...the hotel belongs to his brother and father...or around Manzanillo...hard to find anybody better than Abel!

roadadivsor

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Veragura Rainforest

Thanks for all your info....I'll try to reach Abel ! Would anyone recommend one over the other regarding The rescue centre or the sloth sanctuary ? They both sound great to me!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,555 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Veragura Rainforest

Both are great places. We've spent a couple of nights at Aviarios dell Caribe which also runs a B&B. They have guided canoe rides through their estuary and some hiking trails on their property where we also saw sloths in the wild. Combines well with a daytrip to Cahuita National Park if you have tranportation. The sloth sanctuary is a 20 minute drive north of town. You can take the bus from Puerto Viejo to get there but may have to wait a bit for a return bus. They are visited, or perhaps I should say overwhelmed by tour groups when their is a cruise ship in port so you might want to give them a call in advance to make sure that there isn't a ship in port that day.

The Jaguar Rescue Center didn't have any jaguars but is on a heavily wooded site and has a wide range of critters - just no jaguars when we were there in March. It is much more convenient to visit if you are staying south of Puerto Viejo. We had a not so good tour guide the day we were there, but the rest of the staff was excellent and I would highly recommend a stop there. They had a large number of sloths of 2 different species while we were there.

8. Re: Veragura Rainforest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...