We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose - PV

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
San Jose - PV

I will be staying in San Jose for the night and high taling it to Puerto V in the am.

Not sure if I should rent a car (2 single gals from NYC - street smart ...but in NYC street smart) have the car for the weekend and drive back for a flight home. Is the road trip safe will I get a flat tire or is it a smooth ride? I've heard of car theft in parking areas...are they breaking windows jimmying the door or is it tourists who don't lock their car doors?? I'm thinking allow 4 hours of travel to the east coast. Are there cops that stop you for speeding? What is the speed limit?

Other idea is:

Take an interbus or an existing bus service and rent scooters/bikes once we get there. My flight home is at 7pm, I didn't want to hop on a bus to early to get back to San Jose. Im thinking to allow 4 hours of road travel on bus as well.

Advise would be great!!!!

Cheers.

Esther

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose - PV

I would not waste my time on a rental, use shared transport(interbus) or public bus(inexpensive and just as fast). Use taxis at night, rent bikes during day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose - PV

thanks!!!!!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose - PV

Public transport is easy and safe with common sense. Everyone cycles around PV so it is the way to go! There can be holdups on the road between PV and San Jose for any number of reasons, such as strikes or landslides so give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport. Have a great trip!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose - PV

@Sara, you mean delays right?

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose - PV

yep! Is holdup not a suitable synonym? Sorry to confuse, my British English sometimes does that.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,924 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose - PV

Thank you Cubanon...I was getting worry about those hold ups...thank you Sarita ...your are the best!

roadadvisor

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Jose - PV

I agree with taking the bus over the rental car. Too much money for something you really do not need. As for all the things you are worried about with a car, yes they can happen... but I live here for 8 years and drive to San Jose every 2 weeks and in 8 years, I have had my car broken into twice (both in San Jose). Both times I had left stuff in car and was sloppy about where I parked it.

8. Re: San Jose - PV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...