We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best rondon?

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
613 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
The best rondon?

Where can we find the best rondon and how much does it cost approximately in US dollars? We will be there soon!!! I can't wait!!!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best rondon?

My in-laws live in Limon and travel down to eat in Selvins. I have no idea of the prices on the menu but they certainly won't break the bank. I am sure you will get others chiming in with tiny soda suggestions - the food on this coast is fantastic! Do update with any new discoveries you make once you get here, please!

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best rondon?

Ron Don is not easy to find. It is only the older Caribbean women that know how to cook it. We serve it on Caribbean Night at Banana Azul on Fridays. But you can also find it around town at a few local places. Price 5-7 dollars ?

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
613 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best rondon?

Colinsito - Thanks for the response. We may have to come visit you on a Friday night to try it out! Why is it that only the older women know how to make it? Is it a traditional meal that they've not passed down to the younger generation? I've heard good things about it. I think I saw several people mention Selvin's having a good one also.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best rondon?

I never had the rondon from Miss Helena at Banana Azul, but she's is famous around Puerto Viejo for her cooking, but the rondon from Selvins on Fridays is to die for for. Also Junior Palmer will cook one for you and show you how to make it, Junior is a great local guy from one of the oldest and most respected families fron town.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,784 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best rondon?

In my experience tica cooks are very protective of their recipes and whatever they consider the 'secret ingredient' or technique which makes theirs different from all the rest. If I had a delicious take on a recipe that kept them comin' back for more, then you bet I would guard it closely.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best rondon?

If you know Junior Palmer, you know he is all about sharing his love of his culture with everyone, rondon being one way to do this. Rondon is very much a communal dish made with what ever the cook "runs down", all local root veggies and what ever seafood he can get a hold of, and freshly made coconut milk. I'm sure that Junior would love to share it with you and family and friends.

Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
579 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best rondon?

Nicole, if I remember correctly Selvyn is only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We were in Punta Uva Sunday to Thursday and totally missed it. :( So be sure to check when you're there.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best rondon?

I ate at Selvin last Thursday... His sign says it is open Monday to Sunday but we figured that Wednesday he likes to close... :o) Anyway, he does great Rondon though a bit different than most others. I think the small bowl is like $7 or $8 and the big one around $10. But it is a full meal one can have a portion of Rice & Beans with it.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
613 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best rondon?

Gecko Trail - can you get the rondon on those other days? I thought I read that they only have it on Fridays?

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
435 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best rondon?

I ate it on an other day than Friday - I think it was a Sunday. The Rondon is a fix point on their menu but it could be that it is only available on weekends.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...